Editing email to remove bitmap graphic increases message size RRS feed

• Question

• I was referred to this forum from answers.microsoft.com.  The original thread is at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_winother-mso_2013_release/editing-email-to-remove-bitmap-graphic-increases/ad422101-226d-43fc-abff-a3a482942b12.

I edit an email in my Inbox to replace an inline bitmap graphic with the phrase "<...snip...>", and the size of the message increases from 52KB to 60 KB as a result.

1. Why would this happen?

2. How can I achieve the desire of shrinking the message size by removing graphics while retaining the proper header information (so forwarding won't do it)?

3. If there is no point in excising graphics, how can I get back the original unedited message, with the graphic unremoved?

I am using Outlook 2013 on Windows 7, accessing an Exchange Account.

• Moved by Perry-Pan Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:59 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Polydom,

Could we know how do you check the size of an email? Normally, we turn off Reading Pane and you will see the size column.

1. Why would this happen?

>>replace an inline bitmap graphic with the phrase "<...snip...>"

If the size of the phrase is larger than the picture, it is true that the size will be increased. I tested several times in my Outlook 2016. If I delete some words or one image, the size will be reduced. If I replace it with some other parts. the size will change to certain value. No matter it is increased or reduced.

2. How can I achieve the desire of shrinking the message size by removing graphics while retaining the proper header information (so forwarding won't do it)?

You could refer to Marielle Cas’s suggestion to resize the picture. If the picture and attachment is very large, you could also replace them with a link instead.

3. If there is no point in excising graphics, how can I get back the original unedited message, with the graphic unremoved?

If you already save this changed message, I'm afraid that we cannot restore the deleted graphic. I'd like to recommend you to ask the sender to resend you the email.

Any more concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, August 3, 2018 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:58 AM
  • Hi, Perry,

To see the message size, I right-click anywhere in the headings of the message list and choose `View Settings`.  In the resulting panel, I click the `Columns...` button, and ensure that `Size` is added.

The phrase that I add after removing the graphic literally consists of the string "<...snip...>" (12 characters of text in the same font and format as the surrounding text).  While I no longer have the example, my graphics attachments are usually tens of KBs, if not hundreds.

Regarding resizing the picture, I actually removed the picture and replaced it with 12 extra characters in the body text.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Are you going to reduce the size of Inbox? If the graphics or attachments are usually tens of KBs, they may not have a big effect on messages.

If the picture or attachment is large, you could replace it with string or link. Otherwise, you could directly insert the picture.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:05 AM
  • I'm trying to reduce the space overall, for messages on the Exchange Server account and messages dragged into PST files.  One message probably doesn't have a significant effect, though that depends on the size of the attached image.  Overall, however, the cumulative effect of retaining unnecessasry attachments can be significant.

Regardless of the size of the effect, however, it seems odd that removing an image attachment would not cause the size of a message to decrease.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

As we discussed above, the total size depends on the size of picture and phrase. In your case, the size of the string may be larger than the picture.

If possible, you could also change message to plain text format which will save a lot of space.

Hope the information above is helpful to you. If you have other concern, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day😊

Regards,

Perry

Friday, July 13, 2018 8:27 AM
  • Perry, I think I might be missing something in my explanation, but I'm not sure what.  I removed a picture which is typically in the order of tens or hundreds of KBs, and added 12 characters of text.  I can't see how the 12 characters can lead to an email size that is larger than one containing tens or hundreds of KBs of attachment.  If there is something I can add to improve this explanation of the circumstances, please let me know.
    Friday, July 13, 2018 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Does this happen to all your messages?

Following is my test details:

1. The size of picture is 40KB and the size of email is 134 KB.

2. After removing the picture and replacing it with "1hujighnjiuy" (12 characters), the size become 132 KB.

If possible, you could send some example emails to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com for further research.

Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up :)

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, July 16, 2018 1:37 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2018 1:26 AM
  • Unfortunately, I can't provide the original email, but I was going to send an image attachment that caused the problem described.  Before doing so, I tested the attachment on a virgin email, and was not able to reproduce the problem.  That doesn't mean that the problem did not exist.  I didn't keep track of the original message, so I am currently unable to check things like the format of the email, or other possible attributes to ensure that I am reproducing the circumstances from the past.

I would suggest that we consider this topic closed for now, and I'll be on the lookout for a recurrence.  I'll try to note down what factors might be relevant, and see if I can reproduce it in a virgin email with the same factors.

Thanks, Perry.

Monday, July 16, 2018 8:35 PM
  • No problem.

You could feel free to post back if you reproduce this issue.

Have a nice day~

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:22 AM