Help restoring an older 2003 database. RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to restore to a recovery storage group from arcserve to an exchange 2003. This is an old system that has been retired but we need the data from tape so I fired up the machine.

Our backups have 4 DBs.  Each of them I am able to restore successfully except for one of them so I am pretty confident the problem isnt arcserve.

ID 9635

Source MSexchangeIS

Failed to find a database to restore to from the Microsoft Active Directory.

Storage Group specified on the backup media is 47fe70bc-2e51-436d-b49b-e932cbc619b8.

Database specified on backup media is Unlimited Storage-Elevated Privileges, error is 0xc7fe1f46.

I have checked and rechecked that the name is correct .. I am able to restore the other 3 DBs .. not sure what else to try here. 

Help? :)

Friday, September 19, 2014 1:04 PM

Answers

• Any help from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841143

Event IDs 904, 9635, 8003, and 8019 are logged when you try to restore data to a computer that is running Exchange 2003 Server

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by Sam Booka Monday, September 22, 2014 12:28 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Yeah.. I had gone through that article quite a few times and just couldnt not get it to work. Finally bit the bullet and restored to the first storage group and overwrote the existing db. It was an old server and all the mailboxes have long since been moved so no harm no foul.

So we added the reg key.

Mounted the store (not the RSG store)

Set "Db can be overwritten option"

Did the restore.

Dismounted the DB

Copied the EDB file to another location and extracted what we need with ontrack.

Thanks

Monday, September 22, 2014 12:30 PM

All replies

• Any help from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841143

Event IDs 904, 9635, 8003, and 8019 are logged when you try to restore data to a computer that is running Exchange 2003 Server

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by Sam Booka Monday, September 22, 2014 12:28 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Yeah.. I had gone through that article quite a few times and just couldnt not get it to work. Finally bit the bullet and restored to the first storage group and overwrote the existing db. It was an old server and all the mailboxes have long since been moved so no harm no foul.

So we added the reg key.

Mounted the store (not the RSG store)

Set "Db can be overwritten option"

Did the restore.

Dismounted the DB

Copied the EDB file to another location and extracted what we need with ontrack.

Thanks

Monday, September 22, 2014 12:30 PM