none
Project Server 2007 - Force checkin of a project fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

When trying to force checkin a project I receive an error. The project is not currently open in MS Project. It is not anywhere open in the local cache. This problem occurs now for 8 projects. I also tried to restart the task in the queue. I am an administrator. The following occurs:

Samenvatting/gebieden van fout:

Status approval internal error

StatusingInternalError

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

ProjectCheckinFailure

Queue

GeneralQueueJobFailed

Foutdetails:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="Status approval internal error">

<error id="3116" name="StatusingInternalError" uid="525c1422-0369-475c-a35d-32040869053b" />

</class>

<class name="Object reference not set to an instance of an object.">

<error id="23008" name="ProjectCheckinFailure" uid="e33f05b0-7299-49b1-a5fc-92c0600da7ca" ProjectUID="93a51a9b-3b0d-46bd-9e4a-2a8eea6bff73" JobUID="50fa480f-b520-4e45-9d8e-556189a60b63" MessageID="4" Error="System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.StatusApprovalMessageHandler.ProcessingComplete(StatusApprovalApplyResult result, StatusApprovalMessageHandlerResult status)&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.StatusApprovalMessageHandler.Process(StatusApprovalMessage message, StatusTransactionState expectedState, Boolean keepSchedulingResults, StatusApprovalApplyResult&amp; result)&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.StatusApprovalMessageHandler.Process(StatusApprovalMessage message)&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.StatusApprovalMessageHandler.ApplyInProcessStatusApprovalsForProject(Guid projectID)&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessProjectCheckinMessage.ProcessProjectCheckinApplyStatusUpdatesMessage(Message msg, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, MessageContext mContext)&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessProjectCheckinMessage.ProcessMessageCallback(Message msg, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, MessageContext mContext)" />

</class>

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="710e024a-9931-44ac-a495-9f4aa2c717ac" JobUID="50fa480f-b520-4e45-9d8e-556189a60b63" ComputerName="SVPAPL22" GroupType="ProjectCheckIn" MessageType="ProjectCheckinApplyStatusUpdatesMessage" MessageId="4" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

I created a copy of the production environment and I set the checkout_by and checkout_date fields to null in the Draft database in my Acceptance-envirmoment of PWA. This resolved the problem. But I am hesitant to use this solution in our Production environment. By the way, these 8 projects need to be deleted anyway in the database.

Please advice.

Marcel Visscher DBS Project
    Monday, November 8, 2010 1:57 PM

Answers

• I have found that if I empty the queue to eliminate all failed jobs including failed timesheet syncs, then the project can be checked in and subsequently deleted.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:14 PM

All replies

• There seems to be an issue with applying status updates, did the status manager changed for these projects? Can you try to loging as the PM and see if you can apply updates?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hello Christophe, Thanks for replying.... The Statusmanager was not changed. When I open the project as the Project Manager (is also the Statsu manager) there is one task update waiting to be applied. When I apply it a message displays "applying updates on the server" with an estimation in seconds. The countdown restarts after 30 seconds and never ends. When I click OK the project is closed. There is no job in the queue. When I try to reopen the project in MS project: "Project.....cannot not be opened now because it is locked for applying task updates of team members" Try to reopen the project at al later moment when all the updates are applied". But this status remains forever... Greerings, Marcel
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:36 PM
  • If you are an administartor,can go to server setting --> delete enterprise objects.

Select each entity (project ,timesheet,..etc).below table you can see the list available items and whether its checked out or not.This will help you identify whether the item u r trying to edit is already checked out or not.It might be checked out by someone else.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:14 PM
  • The project is listed in the Delete enterprise objects list, but cannot be deleted because it is checked out.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Hi Marcel,

we have the same problem on several customer systems (Project Server 2007 and 2010).

There seem to be corrupt entries in the Assignment_Transactions database table.

Possible solution is to deleted the published version of the plan or set all tasks in the plan to Publish=NO and back again.

Both ways delete all Transactions in the published database.

Hard way could also be to delete the newest lines in the database table that correspond to assignment of this project - but of course this is not supported :-)

What method do you use to do statusing? My tasks? Timesheet? Single entry mode?

In our case we use an external system and transfer the data using PSI statusing into the system. So I thought it might be a problem with this PSI methods - but if you use the builtin functions..

Regards

Christoph

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Check for tasks with blank custom fields in project plan. Are all custom fields filled? The error happens when custom fields have missing values and nulls are pushed to dataase which are not expected.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hello hem_dev,

What do you mean, "which are not expected"? When is a null value in custom fields a problem? Because it is a standard use case to not fill a task custom field for every task (for example some tasks will have a cost object they are assigned to, others will not). Of course in such a case, the custom field isn't set to "required".

Friday, January 14, 2011 12:03 PM
  • I am having the same problems.  Since the projects aren't checked-in, I cannot open them in the client to try and re-publish.  I also have a proposal having the same problem.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Theoretically this could be it, but I cannot even get the project open to fill those fields in.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:52 PM
  • I have found that if I empty the queue to eliminate all failed jobs including failed timesheet syncs, then the project can be checked in and subsequently deleted.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Yes, Even i have observed the same problem and to resolve it i have to first clear the queue entirely and then try checkin the project. Hope this should resolve your problem.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I know how to empty the cache - but how do you emtpy the queue?  (MSPS 2010)
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:48 PM