how to quote content RRS feed

• Question

• I  am new to moss. I encounter a problem:
      Say i have an Calendar in my site. And I want to quote the Calendar in another page.
      How  to do?

Any suggestion ?
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:34 AM

Answers

• Let's assume your site doesn't have a calendar already:

1. Go to Lists > Create > Tracking > Calendar.
    2. Name the calendar (eg. "New Cal") and click the Create button.
    3. Go to the home page of your site and click Site Actions > Edit Page.
    4. Click Add a Web Part in the zone where you want the calendar to be shown.
    5. Click the checkbox next to "New Cal" (or whatever you named your calendar) and click the Add button.

Now you can go to any other page in your site and go through step 3-5 to add the same calendar. What you are really doing is adding views of the same calendar. You can then customise the different views to show the calendar either as a list or standard calendar.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:27 AM
  • It depends.

Site collections can be created in two different places:

1. the central administration site
    2. a site directory site using the "create site" button

If you go to "all site content" and choose "create" and then "site" it creates what we call a "web site" or a "web" or a "sub web". these are not site collections, but sub webs under the same site collection.

In another example, a user's personal site (my site) is usualy located at a different site collection than the other sites.

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:48 AM

All replies

• Are the 2 pages within the same site?

And when you say "quote", do you mean showing the calendar on a different page (maybe in a different view)?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:53 AM
  • Assuming you just want to show the same calendar on two different pages, that is not a problem.

You can just add the the calendar web part to both pages and you can even have different views on the 2 pages.

Or maybe you meant something else...?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:05 AM
  • hi sondergaard.

They are in one site.
      And  the two calendars can be viewed and edit ...

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:07 AM
  • hi sondergarrd.

How to add one calender  to both pages??
     Could you show me the detail?

thanks
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Let's assume your site doesn't have a calendar already:

1. Go to Lists > Create > Tracking > Calendar.
    2. Name the calendar (eg. "New Cal") and click the Create button.
    3. Go to the home page of your site and click Site Actions > Edit Page.
    4. Click Add a Web Part in the zone where you want the calendar to be shown.
    5. Click the checkbox next to "New Cal" (or whatever you named your calendar) and click the Add button.

Now you can go to any other page in your site and go through step 3-5 to add the same calendar. What you are really doing is adding views of the same calendar. You can then customise the different views to show the calendar either as a list or standard calendar.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Thanks sondergarrd.
     I add it successfully...

And i want to ask another question. can i quote the calendar in a different site?

I try to add it in the parent site, but can't find the calendar webpart which i created in sub site...
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:52 AM
  • Yes you can:

1. Go to the site where you want the calendar to be displayed.
    2. Click Site Actions > Edit Page.
    3. Click Add a Web Part where you want the calendar to be shown.
    4. Select the web part called "Content Query Web Part".
    5. Above the web part click Edit > Modify Shared Web Part.
    6. Expand the Query section in the tool pane.
    7. Click the radio button "Show items from the following list".
    8. Click "Browse..." and navigate to "New Cal" through Home > Sites > etc.
    9. Click OK in the dialogue box.
    10. Under List Type select "Calendar".
    11. Click OK in the tool pane.

The items are shown as a list but you can play around with the different settings in the tool pane to tweak the appearance.

Alternatively, you can use the RSS feed of the calendar to display the contents in a different location.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:48 AM
  • hi sondergaard

A error occure when I do the last step (11. Click OK in the tool pane)

The error message is :Cannot save the property settings for this Web Part. The site URL is not valid. The site URL should refer to a site in the current site collection and should be specified as a server relative URL, as in "/sites/MySite"

why?   Specifie a relative URL?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:51 AM
  • content query web parts can only show information from the same site collection, and not from differernt site collections.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Hi Ishai Sagi.

What is "same site collection"?

I create a "Site Directory" site   A .   And  add a child site to the A site..
      Are the in same site collection?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:38 AM
  • It depends.

Site collections can be created in two different places:

1. the central administration site
    2. a site directory site using the "create site" button

If you go to "all site content" and choose "create" and then "site" it creates what we call a "web site" or a "web" or a "sub web". these are not site collections, but sub webs under the same site collection.

In another example, a user's personal site (my site) is usualy located at a different site collection than the other sites.

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:48 AM

•    You mean the sibling sites are  under the same site collection?

I create a site named Parent .The uri is :
     http://vistaserver:48803/sites/Parent/Pages/category.aspx

Then created two site(sub1 and sub2) under the Parent.
    The uri of the two sub sites are :
    http://vistaserver:48803/sites/Parent/sub1/default.aspx
    http://vistaserver:48803/sites/Parent/sub2/default.aspx

But I can't quote the calendar created in sub1 to sub2.
    The error message is as the same  as I posted before...

Why?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 6:15 AM
  • sub1 and sub2 look to be in the same site collection (although looks can be decieving. I cannot tell for sure from a URL. the best was to know is to go into central administration and open the site collection list for the web application).

What exactly are you trying to do? you are using a very confusing term "quote". are you trying to show the data? what are you putting in the content query web part?

I would also suggest you take a look into the SharePoint Calendar Plus Web Part from Kwizcom. it's most probably what you are looking for.

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:35 AM
  • I believe you can share calendars across site collections using the RSS feed from the calendar.

I.e. you should copy the URL of the RSS feed (of the calendar) and paste it into an RSS Viewer Web Part on the site where you want to show the calendar data.

Friday, March 2, 2007 8:00 AM
  • Hmm, I'm trying to do something similar:  I want to integrate all of the calendars that exist under user sites, project sites, and so forth into  a single page (not necessarily a single calendar).

Can I configure the RSS feed for each calendar to show upcoming appointments or meetings (e.g. just the "current" and "next" event)? 

Thanks guys, this has been a really informative thread so far (especially around sites and site collections). 

Cheers,

Anca.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:34 PM