outlook 2016 proofing Grammar check issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to install the “proofing tools 2016” so that users can use Dutch spell & grammar check.

This seems to work fine in word but only the Dutch spell check works in outlook.

So everything works fine except I can’t get the grammar check to work in outlook.

All the basic setting have been set hence why it works in word

Even tried setting Dutch  it as default… still no luck

Have added the dutch language in the "text services and input languages" setting and tried to move it up to default… still no luck

Have set the proofing language to Dutch and set as default.. still no luck

any suggestions?

Monday, July 16, 2018 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Aks510218,

Please follow the steps below and check the result:

1. In Outlook: On the File menu, click Options, and click Mail, and then click Spelling and Autocorrect.

2. Select the Mark grammar errors as you type and Check grammar with spelling check boxes.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:26 AM
  • Hi.

Thank you for the above suggestion.

unfortunately this still did not work. it literally is just the grammar being an issue.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:28 AM
  • its strange it works in word but not in outlook. the settings are the same.

are there any known issues with this or does anyone know if anyone else is facing the same issue on woffice 2016 with these proofing/language tools?

Thanks

Aks

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Hi Aks,

I did much research but currently haven't found any documentation stating if this is a known issue. 

Does this problem persist for other languages rather than Dutch?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:56 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

i cant find anything other than

- testing on O365 using click and run - this works

- testing on office 2016 pro plus using the msi installer - this doesn't work in outlook.

i tried french as a test and doesn't seem to work - unless i have good french and got the grammer correct :)

i am currently uninstalling office 2016 proofing tools and MS office 2016 pro plus. re-boot, patch up to date, re-install office 2016 pro plus msi and patch up to date.

install office proofing tools - dutch then patch again.

Re-boot and test...

Thanks

Aks

Monday, July 23, 2018 12:49 PM
  • i cant find anything other than

- testing on O365 using click and run - this works

- testing on office 2016 pro plus using the msi installer - this doesn't work in outlook.

Hi Aks,

Thanks for the update. Do you mind collecting the build number of the Office 2016 MSI edition then we can do further research on this? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

its Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 (16.0.4266.1001) 32-bit

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit 

Thanks

Aks

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

its Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 (16.0.4266.1001) 32-bit

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit 

Thanks

Aks

Hi Aks,

Does the issue affect all users running MSI edition of Office 2016 in your environment? 
    What's the language version of the Outlook? Does grammar check work for the original language? 

I tested in the same build of Outlook 2016 (En-us), grammar check can work as expected.

By the way, how about manually running the spelling/grammar check via the Review tab?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, July 27, 2018 8:26 AM
  • Yes all users running the MSI edition on 2016.

Language version is English by default. Grammar checks works perfect for default language

are you testing en.us? can you test the Dutch (may need to install the dutch language proofing tools)

even when manually running it, still doesn't seem to work.

works perfectly fine in word... its just outlook

Friday, July 27, 2018 10:07 AM