none
Roaming profiles (VMWare Persona Management) not saving for non-admins

Question

• I'm attempting to set up roaming profiles on the domain and have run into this issue.

Initially you would think that its an issue with permissions, but I'm able to log in as a non-admin user. The .V2 profile folder is created, but the actual files and folders (APPDATA, NTUSER.DAT, etc.) that constitute the profile are not created within the .V2 profile folder. Logged in as a non-admin user, I am able to browse to the profile folder and save files in there as that user. Because of this, I don't believe this to be a permissions issue. 

When logged in, there is also a hidden folder that comes up. The folder number does not correspond to any GUID or SID of any associated computer (VM in this case) or user. Upon logoff, the hidden folder disappears from the folder, while the 'test' folder the non-admin user wrote to the share remains.

test account when logged in

Environment:

VMWare 6.0 floating pool with persona management.

Windows 7 x86 VMs

Profile share is a DFS share

I realize that Persona Management is a VMWare 'tech', but it's structured closely to Windows native roaming profiles, so I was hoping that someone here could help point me in the right direction.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Jazzchamp,

Can you try to set the maximum wait for test whether it cause by the file sync issue,details steps please refer my last replay KB.

Set maximum wait time for the network if a user has a roaming user profile or remote home folder.

At logon, Windows Vista typically waits 30 seconds for an active network connection, when you configure the user with a roaming user profile or remote home directory. In cases such as wireless networks, it may take more time before the network connection becomes active. Enabling this policy allows Windows to wait up to the number of seconds specified in the policy setting for an active network connection. Windows immediately proceeds with logging on the user as soon as the network connection is active or the wait time exceeds the value specified in the policy setting. Windows does not synchronize roaming user profile or connect to the remote home folder if the logon occurred before the network connection became active.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by SpaceTime_L Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex LvModerator Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:26 AM

All replies

• Does the user have FULL access or only WRITE access?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Wednesday, July 08, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Hi jazzchamp,

It seems like the computer not locate the user profile. A default network profile is optional. Windows Vista will use the local default profile when it cannot locate a default network profile. Do not add ".v2" to the profile path of the user object in Active Directory Users and Computers. Doing so may prevent Windows Vista from locating the roaming or mandatory profile. You should only apply the ".v2" suffix to the name of the user folder on the central file server.

The related KB:

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(v=ws.10).aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 09, 2015 9:51 AM
  • The domain user has FULL access to their own profile folder. No access to any other user's folder.
    • Edited by jazzchamp Thursday, July 09, 2015 4:33 PM clarity
    Thursday, July 09, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply both of you. I appreciate it.

Alex, 

The user profile folder is being created by group policy when the user logs in. I am not manually creating any of the folders. The user has full rights to his folder. 

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi Jazzchamp,

Can you try to set the maximum wait for test whether it cause by the file sync issue,details steps please refer my last replay KB.

Set maximum wait time for the network if a user has a roaming user profile or remote home folder.

At logon, Windows Vista typically waits 30 seconds for an active network connection, when you configure the user with a roaming user profile or remote home directory. In cases such as wireless networks, it may take more time before the network connection becomes active. Enabling this policy allows Windows to wait up to the number of seconds specified in the policy setting for an active network connection. Windows immediately proceeds with logging on the user as soon as the network connection is active or the wait time exceeds the value specified in the policy setting. Windows does not synchronize roaming user profile or connect to the remote home folder if the logon occurred before the network connection became active.

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by SpaceTime_L Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex LvModerator Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Did you every find a solution to this issue? I'm have the exact same problem. All was fine, and all of the sudden this started to happen.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:03 PM