none
DPM 2012r2 new cluster

Question

• I am in the process of building a new cluster and will be live migrating machines over to it. Assuming i setup the new cluster in my current DPM how is it going to handle this? Will it understand the machine was moved to a new cluster and just continue on backing up or is it going to require some brand new protection of the new cluster.

I am tight on space as is and that is where my concern is.

*EDIT*

It is a HyperV failover cluster with agents on the nodes.

In addition i have 1 file server that i backup with an agent on the file server, that is in a different protection group.

• Edited by JustusIV Monday, April 23, 2018 3:56 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM communicates with the DPM agents that are running on the Hyper-V hosts.

If you are migrating the virtual machines to new Hyper-V hosts, you will first of all need to install the DPM agents on the new Hyper-V hosts.

The current protected servers will probably go in an inconsistent mode since the Hyper-V host has changed, so you will have to Stop protection of member on the migrated virtual machines from the protection group(s) and then re-add them to the protection group(s).

Kind regards,
    Leon

Don't forget to visit my blog The System Center Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:44 AM
  • To provide a bit more information, the new cluster is 2016 vs 2012. Turns out DPM 2012 R2 cannot protect 2016 so this question is sort of not accurate, At the very least i will have to update to DPM 2016. Not sure if i want to do an in-place or a new setup. If i do decide to update the question will still stand with DPM 2016. I do see that the clustername is attached to the hyper V VM being backuped "Servername.Clustername.FQDN" So probably these will have to be re-protected. Although i would love someone else to chime in.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

Here's another post regarding the best way to migrate existing DPM 2012 to DPM 2016 on a different server, see Mikes answer for the steps required.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Thx for the link.

I think i am going to take the simplest approach however. My second DPM server is setup and as i migrate VMs to the new cluster i will just backup to the new DPM box.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:46 PM