none
Active Directory Upgrade Planning

Question

• Hello Community,

We currently have a Windows Server 2008R2 domain and forest functional level.

I would like to get all of my DC's upgraded to at least 2012R2, but my first question is should we just go to 2016? Or is the school of thought to not mess with 2016 until it has been out a bit longer, such as when the 2016R2 release comes out? 

The plan would be to stand up new DC's, transfer the FSMO roles, and eventually demote the 2008R2 DC's.

Which brings up my second question.

What is the best way to determine what applications are still "hard coded" to specific domain controllers?  I know we have some applications where the DC is specified by name.  I read somewhere that using an alias to point the old domain controller names to the new ones was one option to ensure nothing was missed.  Of course will will make our best effort to change all applications to a new DC. 

Thanks for any insight as we decide which route to take.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:49 PM

Answers

• AFAIK if the forest functional level is meet to server 2012 ,it should supports exchange 2010 (SP3 and later.).

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Wendy JiangModerator Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken2020 Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:30 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

So the recommendation is always prefer the newset OS,so you should migrate your DC to Server 2016.

I read somewhere that using an alias to point the old domain controller names to the new ones was one option to ensure nothing was missed >>> You can add new server with different hostname and ip address first then when you demote old server 2008 from domain,you can change new DC's hostname and ip address as same as old dc.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken2020 Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I do understand the recommendation.

I was hoping for some information from the field of people who have gone this route and 

what if anything they experienced in doing so.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:37 PM
  • Hi Ken,

We have already upgraded/ migrated our Windows servers 2012 R2 to Window Server 2016 and they are not creating any problem. When there is any latest patch we will update our Windows servers 2016.

So go for latest Windows Server 2016.

/ Karim

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I do understand the recommendation.

I was hoping for some information from the field of people who have gone this route and 

what if anything they experienced in doing so.

There isn't any known issue related to migrate from server 2008 to server 2012&server2016,but for %100 make sure,you can simulate the scenario on your lab environment.And for 3.rd party applications you should contact to vendor for compability with Server 2012&2016...

And you should check this related article to "What is the Impact of Upgrading the Domain or Forest Functional Level?" if you think about raise the functional level also.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2011/06/14/what-is-the-impact-of-upgrading-the-domain-or-forest-functional-level/

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Well I guess there are always other things to worry about. 

According to this table, A Server 2016 AD Environment would not be supported on our current version of Exchange 2010, so Exchange would need an upgrade first. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:18 PM
  • AFAIK if the forest functional level is meet to server 2012 ,it should supports exchange 2010 (SP3 and later.).

• Proposed as answer by Wendy JiangModerator Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken2020 Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:30 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:15 AM