Windows 2012 Essentials to Windows 2016 Essentials Connector/Profile Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WSE 2012 for about 5 years. The hardware is beginning to get a little old, so I have built a WSE 2016 machine. On one of my Windows 10 machines that had been connected to WSE 2012, I uninstalled the connector. Brought the WSE 2016 machine up and ran the connector software on the machine that once had been connected to WSE 2012. That machine shows up in the dashboard of WSE 2016.

When I looked at the client machine after the connector install, I had a new profile with .000. For example, username/domain_name now shows as username/domain_name.000. So I now have a blank desktop - none of my applications are there. Is there a special procedure that needs to be used on a client that was connected to one server with the connector software and is now connected to a different one where I can keep all my applications?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:16 PM

Answers

• I found a program online from a company called Forensit. The utility is called Profile Wizard and it allowed me, using a couple of mouse clicks and asking for the Domain I should be on and the name of the profile to copy my profile in about 20 seconds.

I have successfully finished, just today, in migrating the old profiles to my new machines. Of course, I did need to take programs that looked for its data files and changed it to the new server name, but it was a pretty painless process and it turned out to be a great utility.

Gene

• Marked as answer by Gene Estep Friday, February 9, 2018 6:08 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to keep domain user account profile after migrating from WSE2012 to WSE2016.

Domain user account logs on client OS using new user profile when re-join Essentials domain. If this problem only happens on specific client/user account, you can consider of manually editing it. 

As far as I know, user profile path is recorded via below registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Look for sub-entry with name "Profileimagepath" and find the one you want to keep. Replace the path value of current domain users account.

Please note that:
    Back up registry entry before any change. if there is problem happens later, you can restore from the backup to undo the change.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Thanks Eve. I will try this in the day or so and get back to you with the results.
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Mariette - I did not migrate. I installed WSE2016 on new hardware and reused my domain name. 
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

If there is anything new, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 29, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hello, Eve

I tried what you had suggested and it did not work. I did find the user profile in the path that you listed but after a reboot, as soon as I tried to sign on, the machine signed me off and put me back at the signon screen.

Since I still have the old server (WSE2012) I restored the machine and am back to where I was before. I will continue to look for a fix.

Thanks for your help.

Gene

Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

>I did not migrate. I installed WSE2016 on new hardware and reused my domain name.
    I am not sure if you had re-create a domain with same domain name as before? Or, you had “migrate”/copy domain data(migrate AD DS to new server) from old DC to new DC?

Please note that, migration is defined as moving one role or feature and its data to a different computer, not upgrading the feature on the same computer.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, February 5, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:49 AM
  • I found a program online from a company called Forensit. The utility is called Profile Wizard and it allowed me, using a couple of mouse clicks and asking for the Domain I should be on and the name of the profile to copy my profile in about 20 seconds.

I have successfully finished, just today, in migrating the old profiles to my new machines. Of course, I did need to take programs that looked for its data files and changed it to the new server name, but it was a pretty painless process and it turned out to be a great utility.

Gene

• Marked as answer by Gene Estep Friday, February 9, 2018 6:08 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your detail sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:39 AM