Non-security updates in new servicing model RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hopefully a really easy question  - been following the article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/10/07/more-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-1-servicing-changes/ (which is very good by the way) but am struggling to see where the non-security fixes are to be found. The article says that there will be a monthly security-only quality update (which contains security fixes for that month), a monthly security rollup (which contains a rollup of the security updates) and a preview update which contains "non-security fixes that will be included in the next monthly rollup", so where are the currently released non-security fixes to be found ? - I don't really want to install "preview" versions of updates.

Can anyone clarify please or is the preview tag misleading and I should install these updates to remain current across the board ?

Many thanks.

Brian.

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:44 AM

Answers

• My understanding is the non-security fixes are in the rollup.  For October it would be this patch (if we are talking 2012 R2):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185331

You have to read the page carefully, and follow link(s) to additional pages to find what exactly the fixes are, as they were released in September.

The preview will contain the non-security fixes that will be deployed the following month.  So, the preview patch that was released this week contains the same non-security fixes that will be included in the rollup next month.  I think it is a way for those with development environments to test the non-security fixes BEFORE they apply the rollup the following month.  So, no you do not have to install the preview to remain current.

Hope this helps.

Dasani

Friday, October 21, 2016 1:00 PM

All replies

• My understanding is the non-security fixes are in the rollup.  For October it would be this patch (if we are talking 2012 R2):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185331

You have to read the page carefully, and follow link(s) to additional pages to find what exactly the fixes are, as they were released in September.

The preview will contain the non-security fixes that will be deployed the following month.  So, the preview patch that was released this week contains the same non-security fixes that will be included in the rollup next month.  I think it is a way for those with development environments to test the non-security fixes BEFORE they apply the rollup the following month.  So, no you do not have to install the preview to remain current.

Hope this helps.

Dasani

Friday, October 21, 2016 1:00 PM
  • Hi RoddersB,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, welcome to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Thanks Dasani.
    Friday, October 28, 2016 9:10 AM