How to take backup of all pst files on network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are having exchange server 2003 and 2013 some of the user's have old PST files on their local computer.

I would like to know how can i take backup of all the PST files from all user computer's.

Thanks,

Feroz

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Feroz,

You'll need to use script to achieve the goal. See a sample code here which backup Outlook PST files to a network location:

Dim FSO
    Dim oShell

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set objOutlook = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application")

For Each objInspector In objOutlook.Inspectors          
    	objInspector.CurrentItem.Save
    	objInspector.Close True
    Next

objOutlook.quit

' Sleep for 600 to give Outlook time to release the PST files
    WScript.sleep 600

' Path will need changing to your network location and PST location
    FSO.CopyFile "C:\Outlook.pst", "\\server1\area$\Email\Outlook.pst"
    FSO.CopyFile "C:\Archive.pst", "\\server1\area$\Email\Archive.pst"

oShell.Run "outlook"

Reference: https://gist.github.com/painejake/858244

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Since this forum is not the best resource for coding, if you need further assistance on the script, you can post a new question to the script center forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?category=scripting

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, March 23, 2018 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Hello,

I tried script but it was not working.

Regards

Feroz

Sunday, March 25, 2018 5:49 AM
  • Hello,

We are planning to take backup of all user's pst file, but not by visiting individual user.

Is there any way to take backup from network to all pst file.

Regards,

Feroz

Sunday, March 25, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Thank you Feroz for the update. As I mentioned before, Outlook itself or Microsoft doesn't provide an option or tool to achieve the goal. You'll have to utilize a script, and as far as I know, this is possible via script. If you have any problem regarding the script, you can post to the forum dedicated to codes as I suggested before.

We'd appreciate it if you could share the script here once you found one. Thank you for the understanding and support.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, April 2, 2018 10:04 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 9:17 AM