Problems downloading certain things, web pages work fine, youtube doesn't? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry for the bad title. Been trying to figure out why recently, I can only download some files. Most seem to download fine, other will only download for a few seconds and then hang, and act like they are trying to download but will not go anywhere. The only thing I can definitely say will not work correctly is youtube. I few seconds of the video will load and that it will stop, no amount of waiting will cause it to load anymore. Refreshing the page will make it load a little more but it will often take several refreshes to load the whole video. (note my connection is only 1mb/s on a good day) I seem to have more trouble with files that are served via PHP, but I'm not sure if that is related to PHP or just a coincidence.

Also it doesn't seem related to the browser, (or maybe it is to all of them) I have the same problem using Chrome, Firefox, or IE. One of the files in question was the updated definitions for MSE (which I downloaded from here: https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx) The odd thing was, I was not able to download the definitions in any of the three browsers but I was able to point a download manager at the download link and it was able to download the definitions without a problem.

ALSO: I feel like this is getting way to long but wtvr, I have a laptop that does NOT have this problem at all, using the same internet connection, only difference is it's newer and has a 32bit version of windows 7 installed. Where my desktop (PC with the problem) has windows 7 64bit.

I have done thorough spyware and virus scans, using MSE, defender, spybot and malwarebytes.

Ok tried to include as much info as I could without going overboard... think I got everything somewhat important, any help or ideas to try would be great, as this is getting a little annoying.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• Have you tried updating  adobe flash player or shockwave flash?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:52 AM
  • Yeah tried that too, no luck there either.
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:23 PM