none
Bootable win 7 HDD for any computer RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day All,

I'm looking to create an HDD that i can deploy to a unit by simply swapping the drives. Is it possible to create an instance of Windows 7 or XP(we have both currently deployed) on an HDD that can be put in an assortment of different machines? I'm not looking to use the same HDD in multiple different machines, but i would like to create a set of portable "Fixall" HDD's so i don't have to fresh boot an OS onsite, which i do regularly, in the case that a software issue cannot be resolved or an HDD were to go bad.

I am aware of the option to use a WDS server for install over the network, but most of the sites do not have a connection that can handle the regular work load as well as a WDS deployment. I'm thinking that the biggest issue would be the device specific drivers required for windows to boot.

If you have, or know how to, set something like this up, i would appreciate the input, if no one has, perhaps we could develop a way to do so.

Thank you in advance for anyone who replies!

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:13 PM

All replies

• Alex --

You have erroneously posted this question in a public forum dedicated to Microsoft Project, a project management application.  I would propose that you repost your question in a more relevant forum.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:20 PM