Changing an Active Directory site name breaks exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to clean up and organize a AD/Exchange environment that I inherited.

I've migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and decomissioned the 2007 servers.

Today I wanted to get AD cleaned up a bit so I began to create sites/subnets and move our remote office DC's into appropriate sites.

I began by changing "Default-First-Site-Name" to something more appropriate like "HEADOFFICE".

Ten minutes after I did this, exchange stopped working and the error:

Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1432). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsGetSiteNameW Error code=800703e5. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.

appeared in the event log.

Along with many of these:

Watson report about to be sent for process id: 10976, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.01.0218.015, edgetransport, M.E.Data.Storage, M.E.D.S.ExchangePrincipal.get_ServerFullyQualifiedDomainName, System.InvalidOperationException, 656b, 14.01.0218.012.
    ErrorReportingEnabled: False

Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1408). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object MJEXCHANGE00 - Error code=8007077f.
     The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

M

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:53 PM

Answers

• On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:53:40 +0000, MKSanchez wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to clean up and organize a AD/Exchange environment that I inherited.
    >
    >I've migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and decomissioned the 2007 servers.
    >
    >Today I wanted to get AD cleaned up a bit so I began to create sites/subnets and move our remote office DC's into appropriate sites.
    >
    >I began by changing "Default-First-Site-Name" to something more appropriate like "HEADOFFICE".
    >
    >Ten minutes after I did this, exchange stopped working and the error:
    >
    >Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1432). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsGetSiteNameW Error code=800703e5. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.
    >
    >appeared in the event log.
    >
    >Along with many of these:
    >
    >Watson report about to be sent for process id: 10976, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.01.0218.015, edgetransport, M.E.Data.Storage, M.E.D.S.ExchangePrincipal.get_ServerFullyQualifiedDomainName, System.InvalidOperationException, 656b, 14.01.0218.012. ErrorReportingEnabled: False
    >
    >Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1408). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object MJEXCHANGE00 - Error code=8007077f. The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try restarting the System Attendant service.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by MKSanchez Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Has the sitename been hardcoded in the registry on the Exchange Server?
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025528

That is something that I have had to do at some customers, because of the same errors as you see.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:19 AM
  • On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:53:40 +0000, MKSanchez wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to clean up and organize a AD/Exchange environment that I inherited.
    >
    >I've migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and decomissioned the 2007 servers.
    >
    >Today I wanted to get AD cleaned up a bit so I began to create sites/subnets and move our remote office DC's into appropriate sites.
    >
    >I began by changing "Default-First-Site-Name" to something more appropriate like "HEADOFFICE".
    >
    >Ten minutes after I did this, exchange stopped working and the error:
    >
    >Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1432). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsGetSiteNameW Error code=800703e5. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.
    >
    >appeared in the event log.
    >
    >Along with many of these:
    >
    >Watson report about to be sent for process id: 10976, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.01.0218.015, edgetransport, M.E.Data.Storage, M.E.D.S.ExchangePrincipal.get_ServerFullyQualifiedDomainName, System.InvalidOperationException, 656b, 14.01.0218.012. ErrorReportingEnabled: False
    >
    >Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1408). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object MJEXCHANGE00 - Error code=8007077f. The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try restarting the System Attendant service.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by MKSanchez Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Restarting system attendant service seemed to do the trick.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Doesn't require AD topology service restart ?

Uttam

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:54 AM