none
Project Server 2013 use of SharePoint groups RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

perhaps I am not the only one with this issue.

Project Server automatically creates SharePoint groups to use with the project site of a project that is created. This leads to about 2.000 groups if we have 500 projects in the system.

What is not done automatically is some kind of cleanup. When you delete a project with its site, the groups remain there.

I try to find a way to get rid of these orphaned groups that are not used anywhere. There is probably a way from the SharePoint side to dig through the site collection and find these groups. But there should be some place where Project Server stores the groups that are created and used. I would have expected to find a database table that holds the relation of projects and the SharePoint groups but until now I was not successful.

Anyone here having an idea?

Thanks

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, February 8, 2014 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hello Chris

I sounds like you are using SharePoint permissions.  I would suggest changing to Project Permissions to reduce the number of SharePoint groups.  However, if you are required to use SharePoint permissions, then I would suggest using PowerShell to cycle thru the groups in the web application to manage.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, February 21, 2014 12:06 AM
  • Hi Michael,

thanks for reply.

No, I use Project Server permission mode.

In 2010 the users received permissions to project sites directly - what did also not look very nice if you wanted to touch SharePoint security yourself and leave not everything up to Project Server. But now we get groups per project site (or better: subweb) that are not cleaned up.

Cycling through the groups to clean them up would be my idea - but how can I find out, which groups are orphaned because their site does not exist anymore?

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:17 AM
  • This is due to the changes in 2013 with project site permissions. When the project site is deleted I would have expected the associated groups to be deleted to but as you have seen they aren't. You could maybe enumerate all of the groups using PowerShell then check if that associated site exists. It should be fairly easy as I think there will be a property on the group with a link to the associated site. You would need to test this very carefully before using on a Prod system. Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi Paul,

thanks. I just found out that the IDs of the related groups are at least stored as a property of the web. Also the ProjectUID is stored there.

That should help.

The group itself does not seem to have a property that links it to a project.

Kind regards

Christoph

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Christoph,

Did you ever find a resolution for this issue?
    I am currently looking to address this before we have a bloat of SharePoint groups in our implementation.

Regards,

Aaron Tasker

Fujitsu New Zealand

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

no. I did not dig further yet how to find the obsolete groups and delete them.

My recommendation currently is to create the Project sites in a different site collection than the Project Web App site and use a new one every x projects

Best way would be to create a site collection per project. In our internal environment we are currently testing that based on a Nintex worflow fired on the Project Published event and we will use the same Technology probably in a customer project in April.

Regards

Christoph

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:47 PM
  • AFIK, this has been surfaced to MS as an "issue", not yet recognized as a bug, which it is IMO.  Clearly, if you use Administrative Delete for a Project (and project site) you fully well would expect these groups to be removed also.  They are not, as you point out.

please let us know if you find out otherwise.

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:01 AM