the system setting screen of my admin account in windows 2016 just flicks and disappear RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 admin accounts and the main one has the system setting screen disappears after I clicked on the icon (the wheel). The other account belongs to another user also has the same memberships but it can have the screen to stay on. 

I tried to create other users with the same rights and memberships but none can have the screen of settings to stay. 

Is there any patch to fix this? I called Microsoft tech support and they asked for $450 minimum charge to open a case even though I just bought this OS Win server 2016 about a month ago and just installed in the server about 5 days ago. 

Any help is appreciated.

Friday, August 24, 2018 1:49 AM

Answers

• Thanks, Dave. However, it is too much work for a part time network guy like me to reinstall the whole server and rejoin the domain, run thru all the tests, add all roles, not mentioning about back up all the data and bare metal in case of failure, etc. My 3 employees will yell at me because they have to stay home and their kids will come and join their force of protest. j/k. But really, no. I'm ok with your solution for now.

I have several DNS and DHCP errors to take care and hopefully will make the servers happy until the 2016 has no more bugs and I can peacefully transfer everything from the 2012 r2 to the 2016. Then, I can retire for few years.

Will see you and chat with you around these forums of Technet. Thanks again.

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:09 AM

All replies

• If you meant your local profile was corrupt you can create a new account with local administrative rights, logon with new account, then after saving off docs, etc. from corrupt/abandoned profiles use Control Panel\System\System Properties\Advanced\User Profiles and delete the old profile store. Then when you next logon a new profile is created from an image in \default user then you can copy your saved data back to new profile.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 24, 2018 2:10 AM
  • hi,
    you said“The other account belongs to another user also has the same memberships but it can have the screen to stay on. 
    can you  show the problem pictures or video in onedrive and share it?
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:08 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:11 AM
  • I'm thankful for all your reply. I'm sorry for late response. I tried creating new users (more than 3 times) with same membership of same groups and copied the profile over with no success. 

The other administrator account now also lost its setting after an update. I don't have any thing, any tools to look for the history of KBXXXXX, nor do I have any tool to uninstall them. 

I tried all tricks and helps for windows 10 that I could find in all forums in internet. I am not a pro IT guy to write some scripts, just a small business owner with 1 server and 5 pc's as they need to run and share some software. That's why I love the GUI. 

Yesterday there was a windows message that "your computer needs updates" (can't remember exact words) I was shocked and happy, hoping that I was lucky hitting some buttons that the windows update feature is back. I clicked on the message, it evaporated immediately. 

Bottom line is that the problem is still there and I have no way to check or update my server window. 

Saturday, September 1, 2018 11:38 PM
  • I have no way to check or update my server window.

• Try to launch them from; msconfig, Tools tab
    • Try to launch from sconfig, 6
    • Try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the installation media.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2018 11:48 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I tried to launch from sconfig, 6, yes, it checked and ran. However, how can I set timer / schedule. Currently, it seems by default, it will runs at 3PM which is inconvenient. 

Honestly, I still prefer the old GUI of Win Upd. But this is good for now. Thanks, Dave.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:20 AM
  • Good news, you're welcome. Might also try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the install media. Or better yet is to stand up a new one, patch it fully and migrate the roles or applications over to it.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:36 AM
  • Thanks, Dave. However, it is too much work for a part time network guy like me to reinstall the whole server and rejoin the domain, run thru all the tests, add all roles, not mentioning about back up all the data and bare metal in case of failure, etc. My 3 employees will yell at me because they have to stay home and their kids will come and join their force of protest. j/k. But really, no. I'm ok with your solution for now.

I have several DNS and DHCP errors to take care and hopefully will make the servers happy until the 2016 has no more bugs and I can peacefully transfer everything from the 2012 r2 to the 2016. Then, I can retire for few years.

Will see you and chat with you around these forums of Technet. Thanks again.

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:09 AM
  • thanks for your feedback ,If you have other question you can also pose at this forum.
    Friday, September 14, 2018 8:49 AM