none
Start Menu Redirection Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Ok we have quite an annoying problem here

It seem non admin accounts can use the redirection start menu correctlly. Everytime you try to start a program from on f the redirected shorcus, it does nothing, it does not lanch or start. Works fine from shorcuts that are stored on the computer.

Even tried making a new policy (No others enabled) just with folder redirection, xp worked with this, but still the same problem with windows 7

Anyone good any ideas on how to get this working?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi davep000,

How did you redirect the Start Menu? As I know, Windows 7 and Windows XP has different Start Menu structures. To redirect the Start Menu, you can enable GPO for folder redirection in Windows 7, the path is \User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection. Then redirect the Start Menu folder ( %Systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu ) to another available location. Meanwhile, enable the entry "Remove user's folders from the Start Menu" using GPO.

For references:

Folder Redirection Overview

Windows 7 Start Menu Redirection,Folder Structure

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:17 AM

All replies

• I'm having a little trouble understanding specifically what you're trying to do...

Can you be more specific and descriptive?  Tell us exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and perhaps we can be of more help.

What exactly do you mean by "the redirected shortcuts"?

-Noel
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Hi davep000,

How did you redirect the Start Menu? As I know, Windows 7 and Windows XP has different Start Menu structures. To redirect the Start Menu, you can enable GPO for folder redirection in Windows 7, the path is \User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection. Then redirect the Start Menu folder ( %Systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu ) to another available location. Meanwhile, enable the entry "Remove user's folders from the Start Menu" using GPO.

For references:

Folder Redirection Overview

Windows 7 Start Menu Redirection,Folder Structure

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:17 AM