PC gets BSOD, then restarts, then fails to boot. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the past couple of days, I have had an intermittent problem with my Windows 7 32-bit PC. Sometimes, while logged into Windows, it freezes briefly, gets a BSOD and then restarts (my PC is set to restart upon system failure). Upon the restart, it fails to boot, displaying the Insert Boot device message. Changing the boot order in the BIOS has no effect. It will boot into Windows however after a power cycle (removing the power cable from the PSU for 60 secs).

I have checked the event logs and there are errors with Event ID 41 to signify and unexpected shutdown, but I can't see any to give a clue as to why it got a BSOD.

I'm guessing this is a hardware issue, but am otherwise a little stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My PC specs are as follows:

• Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit SP1
    • Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz
    • Viglen Vig642M
    • 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
    • 74GB Seagate ST3808110AS ATA Device (SATA)

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:52 AM

Answers

• We do need the actual DMP file as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

If you are using Blue screen view, who crashed, or a similar application, don't.  They are wrong at least as often as they are correct

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, June 23, 2014 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:03 PM

All replies

• Is there any changes before this issue happen?

regarding No Boot issue solved by power cycle. I suspected this issue HW issue as well

I suspected maybe this issue will be from HDD, Memory or mainboard

first step you should make sure HDD health. If HDD ok, try to clean PC and re-seat memory

I guess this is HDD issue  

• Edited by britishdhez Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have just run a chkdsk /r and it seemed to run ok. Because this is an intermittent problem it's hard to say if it has had any effect. So I'll keep my eyes peeled over the next few days and get back to you.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:00 PM
  • We do need the actual DMP file as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

If you are using Blue screen view, who crashed, or a similar application, don't.  They are wrong at least as often as they are correct

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, June 23, 2014 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:03 PM