none
Renaming Windows Domain Name Breaks RDS setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Im new to this forum and unfortunately i do not have enough experience to move past the issue that im currently facing. 

To give you an overview on the current task at hand. I have a domain controller(2016) with RDS installed on one of the domain joined windows servers(2016). Basically to protect myself from any unexpected issues i have cloned the servers into an isolated environment to test on the renaming process before actually performing on production. 

I have went through multiple articles and blogs on the process of renaming a domain name ie. ABC.local to ABZ.local.

The main issue is when the domain name is renamed(completed successfully), the RDS deployment breaks as it still detects the old server vm1.abc.local instead of the updated vm1.abz.local. 

Most of the blogs available mention that it might be necessary to completely remove the roles and then re-add them back, however from my understanding it looks like the issue is primarily the server not updating its fqdn in the RDS deployment

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter and in the mean time i will continue to try and solve it. 

Thank you. 

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:42 AM

All replies

• Are you using High Availability mode? Because if you are then you will have to recreate the entire environment. Once you rename the domain can you still get to the RDS management screen? If you can then you should be able to add the new server names to the SERVERS list then assign the new roles accordingly. You will also more than likely have to create a new collection and redeploy new RemoteApps.

If you have HA mode enabled none of this will work as once SQL is handling the CBs any major changes to the design causes problems. If you cannot manage the RDS instance because it does not recognise the servers you might have issues too, but again try adding the servers again to the instance and then reallocate the services accordingly. If you have the entire deployment on a single server it should be easy to test this.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please re-start RDS relate server system and check the result, system rebooting will helpful for renew/update DNS RRs on DNS server.

Besides, please make sure that relate configuration has been renewed, below configuration may including FQDN:
    1. Specific Licensing server for your session host via group policy, or UGI about RDS deployment properties on Connection Broker.
    2. Certificates which are assigned for RDS roles. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:28 AM