none
Domain user can't map network drives and print on network printer

Question

• Hi,

One domain user recently can't see network drives and use printer. When you join a domain it automatically maps those drives and ads that printer, and it did, but now it is all gone. You can't even see disconnected drives in My computer. I am able to ping those drives, but that's it. And this occurs only on one computer on one user. If log in to different user on that computer everything is fine and if I log in with that user on different computer it also works. Tried looking for disabled services, but couldn't any that would be turned off from the most important (Workstation, Network location awareness, Network list service). Any suggestions?

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:34 PM

Answers

• Tried that didn't work.

One of my colleagues now noticed that users file folder in C:\\Users\ is Name.Surname but all other users folders have NSurname type name. So we think that this could be the problem. But where do we fix it ? In Active Directory or in the computer?

Fixed it. My colleague changed credentials in Credential manager from Name.Surname to NSurname and everything is fine now. Thanks for help.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:29 PM

All replies

• Happening to one machine AND one user tells me you have limited the issue to a single source which is good.  However, start looking in your Active Directory Users and Computers.  You mentioned some automatic mapping takes place so double-check to see if there is a script linked up to the [user] account.  Secondly, check to see if the account AND Machine is in the proper OU because you may have Domain Policy stuff going on.  Thirdly, check Domain OR Local Policies first on the Domain Controller then the machine. 

I would say try and have the user log on to another known-working machine.  Does everything work as normal?
    You may have to end up blowing-out (thoroughly deleting) the user's account on the machine and starting over with a new profile (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System, System Properties, click Settings... in the User Account area, choose the profile and click the Delete button.  Reboot).

Do let us know of your progress!

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:38 PM
  • I don't think it's Active directories fault. Like I said I tried log in to different computer with user which has that problem and everything worked fine. Also I checked in Active directory policies and user is member of all the groups which has auto mapping assigned. I also tried changing password of the user in active directory and changed it in credential  manager. (Didn't want to delete it all together, because I feared I couldn't log in to that users files after, because they are encrypted only for that user.) What else could I try before deleting user account?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:01 AM
  • Try to manually remove the machine from the domain.  Place it back in to a Workgroup(**I advise you change the machine's name while doing this**).  Reboot.  Then, go to Active Directory and delete the machine.  Return to the machine and join to the Domain once more.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:54 PM

One of my colleagues now noticed that users file folder in C:\\Users\ is Name.Surname but all other users folders have NSurname type name. So we think that this could be the problem. But where do we fix it ? In Active Directory or in the computer?

• Edited by IgnasRac Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:38 PM

Fixed it. My colleague changed credentials in Credential manager from Name.Surname to NSurname and everything is fine now. Thanks for help.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:29 PM