Cannot access the Self Service Portal applications RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have installed the Self Service Portal on 2 identical machines (hardware, OS, IIS, all similar).  As a next step the idea is to NLB these machines.  But NLB is not the problem.

On the first machine the portal is running fine.  But on the second machine I cannot connect to the SSP applications.  Even on the local machine it doesn't work.  The symptom of the problem is that I reveive an authentication request from the server when I browse to the app (eg. https://localhost/EndUser/).  When I cancel this request I get an HTTP 401.2 error (which seems normal to me).  When I type in username and pw, then nothing happens (internet explorer cannot display the web page).

Has anyone seen something similar?

Here's some additional info on the setup:
    - SSP is running on dedicated hardware
    - Service Manager DB is running on a seperate SQL cluster
    - IIS logs do not provide any additional information
    - IIS event log shows several of the following events:
    "A process serving application pool 'SM_AppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '3884'. The data field contains the error number."
    - After a while the SM_AppPool is stopped automatically, following event is indicated:
    "Application pool 'SM_AppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool."

I have compared many settings between the two servers but they are all the same.  Still it works on one machine, but not the other.

Any ideas to solve this or continue with the troubeshooting?

Thanks,
    Geert

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers