none
Disable AutoDiscover in Exchange 2007 on a SBS 2008 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am moving clients across to Office 365 and Exchange online. Many of the users sit inside an SBS 2008 network with Exchange running using the same domain name. I can see problems with Auto-discovery in Outlook when it tries to connect to the new service, which will hook into the local domain first. Wanting to avoid manual setups in Outlook, is there a way to disable the Auto-discover response on Exchange 2007 (SBS 2008)?

Many Thanks

MIS5000

Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:14 PM

Answers

• Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Hi there,

First, Autodiscover service could not be disable in CAS server. It is by design.

What we can do is stop Outlook from looking for Atodiscover service or, make the autodiscover service url unavailable.

Regarding the cdlets,  yes it should be run in EMS; after running this cmdlets, the internal  url of Autodiscover service will not be available for ALL Domain users. So, if you still have Exchange users whose mailbox resided in your internal Exchange server, they will be affected.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:11 AM

All replies

• Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Hi Andy

So just to be clear, using your suggestion in this post:

Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity <CASServer> -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri $NULL

• Will this effect anything else on the server or just Autodiscover for Exchange?
    • I assume I run this from the Exchange PowerShell?
    • And one observation in the command -  should Uri actaully be URL?

Many thanks

MIS5000

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Hi there,

First, Autodiscover service could not be disable in CAS server. It is by design.

What we can do is stop Outlook from looking for Atodiscover service or, make the autodiscover service url unavailable.

Regarding the cdlets,  yes it should be run in EMS; after running this cmdlets, the internal  url of Autodiscover service will not be available for ALL Domain users. So, if you still have Exchange users whose mailbox resided in your internal Exchange server, they will be affected.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Andy

So just to be clear, using your suggestion in this post:

Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity <CASServer> -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri $NULL

• Will this effect anything else on the server or just Autodiscover for Exchange?
    • I assume I run this from the Exchange PowerShell?
    • And one observation in the command -  should Uri actaully be URL?

Many thanks

MIS5000

Just autodiscover. Setting that however wont prevent Outlook from looking for an autodiscover end point however. Run from Powershell  and its actually URi , yes. not URL.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125157.aspx

The AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri parameter specifies the internal URL of the Autodiscover service.

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:08 AM
  • We are switching to a hosted exchange online just like this post,  I"m running SBS 2008 With Exchange 2007.  Did just changing the CAServer to null,  allow all internal/domain joined users to connect to online hosted exchange and configure without problems.  I have externally hosted DNS autodiscover record setup and working fine from outside.  If i am understanding correctly, if outlook 2007/2010 cannot find autodiscover because CAS is set to null, The SBS Server (which is my DNS server that the users point to) will direct users out to my hosting site to get autodiscover information?  thanks.

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I know this is an old post and not relevant to 60% of the internet (lol)

I'm in the process of moving clients to 365, and like most i'm trying to have minimal disruption (and also keeping Exchange 2007 as a safety net in case something goes wrong)

I was struggling with the local domain and it resolving locally before giving an option to enter 365 details, i could do it manually but then i'd get no updates and shared folders don't get displayed!

So what i did!

I went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Autodiscover and renamed 'web.config'

Then on creating a new Outlook profile i clicked on the email address and retyped it, this then gave me the password box as needed for 365, it then went out and discovered the 365 setting and confirmed logon details... boom i now have a configured 365 profile with autodiscover and my shared/delegate mailboxes :)

Unsure if this will break anything, i'm doubtful as i'm not setting up any domain profiles and 365 will be live in days

Hopefully this will help at least one sole out there :)

• Proposed as answer by Joe.L Saturday, May 20, 2017 10:00 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 6:32 PM
  • I just wanted to bump this and say that this worked perfectly for me.

Migrating to 365, going live on Monday (it is Saturday night) and forgot about this little detail. Even with Exchange shut-down, Autodiscover will still intervene on the local network.

Editing that file out prevents Outlook from even registering the account. When you set-up a new Outlook profile, it will first grab the domain credentials and try to use those, but will pop-up with a sign-in dialog box. All you need to do is change the domain from <username>@domain.local to domain.com, enter the Office 365 password, and it will use the Office 365 Autodiscover DNS entries to configure.

Works like a charm! No ill effects I can tell. All my users are being cut-over at the same time, so I could care less about my on-prem exchange server's autodiscover feature and I can leave my exchange server up and running for any failback or archival purposes during the transition.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 2:35 AM
  • I know this is an old post and not relevant to 60% of the internet (lol)

I'm in the process of moving clients to 365, and like most i'm trying to have minimal disruption (and also keeping Exchange 2007 as a safety net in case something goes wrong)

I was struggling with the local domain and it resolving locally before giving an option to enter 365 details, i could do it manually but then i'd get no updates and shared folders don't get displayed!

So what i did!

I went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Autodiscover and renamed 'web.config'

Then on creating a new Outlook profile i clicked on the email address and retyped it, this then gave me the password box as needed for 365, it then went out and discovered the 365 setting and confirmed logon details... boom i now have a configured 365 profile with autodiscover and my shared/delegate mailboxes :)

Unsure if this will break anything, i'm doubtful as i'm not setting up any domain profiles and 365 will be live in days

Hopefully this will help at least one sole out there :)

Thank you!, I have the same timing issue as Matt and completely forgot about this. We're fully migrating to off premise servers in 2 weeks. This quick fix will greatly help me! Worked perfectly so far!
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 10:00 PM