Outlook - Internet Calendar Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

Would like to know the information for the below queries:

1.What are the limitations of using Internet Calendar Subsciptions in outlook. (.ics file)

2.How frequently the iCalendar refreshed If we add any events / task to that calendar.

3.What happens if I lost internet connectivity or any other problems while subscribe and using Internet Calendars in my outlook.

4. Any drawbacks to use webcal:// proxy to subscribe the  published internet calendar from my web site to the outlook client.

Please advise.

• Edited by Balajun23 Friday, September 1, 2017 1:14 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Re Q1: I haven't found any documented limitations of using Internet Calendar Subscriptions, but I know that there could be synchronization issues of internet calendars in Outlook. There is few option to control the internet calendars subscription in Outlook, when the calendars stop syncing, you may have to re-subscribe to the calendars.

Re Q2: From Outlook side, the update frequency depends on the Outlook Send/Receive interval. You can adjust it via clicking Send/Receive tab > Define Send/Receive Groups, and then modifying the automatic send/receive interval.

Re Q3: When losing internet connectivity, the calendar will stop syncing. Normally, the synchronization will return to normal when the internet connectivity is back. As I mentioned before, there is no much thing we can do if a syncing issue happens when the internet connectivity is lost, you may try to re-subscribe to the calendar to see whether it helps.

Re Q4: webcal:// is the only option for the Internet Calendar Subscription. I haven't found any documentation stating the drawbacks.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:44 AM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Thanks Steve.

As mentioned ,

There could be synchronization issues of internet calendars in Outlook. There is few option to control the internet calendars subscription in Outlook, when the calendars stop syncing, you may have to re-subscribe to the calendars.  -  What is the reason for the above sync process and click on Send/Receive Groups to refresh the ics calendar.

Can't we handle it in ics file core content for auto sync-up for every 5 seconds (for instance).  Please suggest.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    VERSION:2.0
    CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
    METHOD:PUBLISH
    X-WR-CALNAME:3i vs. 6YSRDTYYS
    X-PUBLISHED-TTL:PT1M
    BEGIN:VEVENT
    UID:80006
    SUMMARY: NewEVENT
    DESCRIPTION:test
    DTSTART:20170902T013000Z
    DTEND:20170902T023000Z
    END:VEVENT

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:47 AM
  • >>Can't we handle it in ics file core content for auto sync-up for every 5 seconds (for instance).

I'm afraid that we cannot control the ics file core content from Outlook client side.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, September 18, 2017 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:50 AM