none
hyper-v role accidentally removed from DPM 2016 guest, now dpm won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Guest OS: Server 2016
    Hyper-V Host OS: Server 2012 R2
    DPM Version: 2016

One of our VMs started acting a little crazy after Hyper-V role on the GUEST was removed and the GUEST was rebooted.

Attempts to re-add the Hyper-V role to the GUEST VM fails, giving an error about the CPU not supporting it.

DPM refuses to load on the VM.

How do I fix this?

Do I have to move it to a Hyper-V 2016 host, add the Hyper-V role, and move it back??

The idea of moving it back seems risky.

Please help. 

edited for clarification

• Edited by HASB Admin Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:22 PM clarification
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:28 PM

Answers

• Got it. Try to install Hyper-V Role with DISM

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName: Microsoft-Hyper-V

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by HASB Admin Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:38 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2018 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hello!

I apologize if I don't understand you fully, do you mean that the Hyper-V role was removed from your Hyper-V host?

And now your DPM server cannot backup or restore the VMs or a specific VM?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:39 PM
  • no it was only removed from the guest VM. When I try to re-add the HyperV back, I get a "CPU not supported" type error.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:43 AM
  • So you are using nested virtualization (running Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine)? If that is the case, keep in mind that nested virtualization is not supported on Hyper-V Host version 2012 R2. You need to use Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10 Anniversary Update or later. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:44 AM
  • As Matej mentioned, if you are in fact using nested virtualization, it is only supported in Windows Server 2016 or later I’m afraid.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:57 AM
  • I'm not using it intentionally. Are you saying nested virtualization is required for DPM to run?

I just want DPM to run.

unless it's recently corrupted itself and the removal of hyper-v is coincidence...

So is my configuration not supported?

I have a 2016 guest VM running DPM 2016 backing up a hyper-v cluster 2012 R2. That 2016 guest vm is running on top of the 2012R2 cluster.

• Edited by HASB Admin Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:10 PM
  • I'm sorry but I do not fully understand your configuration. 

So if I'm correct your DPM 2016 VM is running on Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster currently? The part that I do not understand is from which server did you remove the Hyper-V Role? You said you remove the Hyper-V Role from the guest VM? Which one? 

Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:49 PM
  • Removed it from the DPM 2016 VM. 

I think DPM 2016 adds that role during installation.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:00 PM
  • Got it. Try to install Hyper-V Role with DISM

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName: Microsoft-Hyper-V

• Marked as answer by HASB Admin Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:38 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2018 7:04 AM
  • What exact error were you receiving when trying to reinstall the Hyper-V role?

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:09 AM
  • thanks!

That let me re-add the feature. DPM got a little bit further but the service crashes for another reason, I may have to repair it after all.

Friday, November 16, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Try reinstalling the agent.

Friday, November 16, 2018 5:59 PM