LIS 4.0 - eth0 does not seem to be present after upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just performed a LIS 4.0 upgrade on a RH 6.4. But when the system restarts it does not detect the network interface eth0

Hyper-V runs under Windows 2012 R2, and RH 64 is configured with a GEN1 hardware, and kernel version is 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64

I've tested LIS 4.0 on a similar RH workstation without any problem related with network interface detection.

If I uninstall LIS 4.0, the system recognizes the eth0 without problems.

I've also tested removing 70-rules file

lsmod and modinfo reports correctly.

any idea?

thanks in advance.

Monday, May 11, 2015 4:53 PM

All replies

• On a default installation RHEL 6.4 doesn't configure eth0.

If you use DHCP. check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to make sure ONBOOT=yes and NM_CONTROLLED=no (and BOOTPROTO=dhcp which is the default).

If you use a static IP, in the same file, you will want ONBOOT=yes, NM_CONTROLLED=no, BOOTPROTO=static, and IPADDR and NETMASK should be set to your static values. You'll also have to update /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/resolv.conf

To make the changes take effect, run /etc/init.d/network restart as root.

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Monday, May 11, 2015 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

I've checked all the modules loaded related with Hyper-v, and while hv_vmbus was reporting version 4.0.7, I've found that modinfo hv_netvsc was reporting version 3.1

Then I've executed modprobe -v -r hv_netvsc and inmediatly modinfo started to report  the right version (4.0.7) for the hv_netvsc, to verify I've just restarted the system and  all were working correctly.

After system restart eth0 was correctly detected and started at boot time without problems.

Hope this helps.

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:18 PM
  • That's odd, did you run the top level installer script when you installed, or the one from the RHEL64 directory? Were you running the stock RHEL 6.4 kernel or had it been upgraded?

Sorry for the trouble.

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

To install LIS 4.0 on my RH 6.4 I logged as root on it, then I removed old VSS (backup essentials package) because I already detected that new LIS had conflicts it during the instalaltion. Then I did "upgrade.sh" of LIS 4.0 and  installation finished without any warning.

Then after the first restart I noticed the problem with the network interface and I did the usual steps to fix problems with eth0, like remove 70-rules, etc... without results

Then I did a cleanup of LIS, and tried with the "install.sh", but the problem still persisted..

After my previous steps, I spent so many time looking for drivers, etc.. until I checked the version of hv_netscv and I removed manually the old module. Since I did all were working fine, and eth0 was detected immediately

Regards

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Ah, if you had installed an older LIS, for example LIS 3.5, the upgrade.sh script should remove the old packages (kernel modules and daemons )and install the new ones. I'm wondering that because one module had been removed but not the other one that it skipped a step and didn't get them all.

If LIS had never been installed, the install.sh script removes the Red Hat-supplied versions of the LIS kernel modules and daemons that were integrated from our upstream contributions, but it doesn't look for LIS-installed ones.

A further complication can come about if LIS had been installed before a kernel upgrade where the Red Hat-supplied modules can get reinstalled. We recommend uninstalling LIS before a kernel upgrade and then reinstalling it afterward in such a case, as problems will arise when the modules conflict.

We are improving these installation scripts to better detect conflicts and remove them in advance of installing the LIS RPMs, so we are always interested in situations and configurations we have missed. We're sorry you ran into a case like that.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Hi all,

Same problem here!

Performed upgrade to LIS 4.0.7 on CentOS release 6.4 (kernel 2.6.32-358.11.1.el6.x86_64) and the system cannot find the ethernet interface after rebooted. "ip link show" just shows loopback interface.

At least I did a snapshot and a full backup before it. Now I'm working on a copy of this VM. The upgrade runs fine, but modules hv_netvsc and hv_utils are still on version 3.1. Unfortunately "modprobe -v -r hv_netvsc" didn't help me. I cannot remember if this system was upgraded to LIS 3.5.

hv_netvsc

hv_utils

Any tips?

MCP 409-410

Friday, June 12, 2015 5:58 PM
  • After installing LIS 4 the "version:" should list 4.0.7 instead of 3.1. You will have to manually remove the modules and reinstall LIS 4. I will refer this installation problem to the team. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Hello Joshua!

In the same day I realized that I was trying to upgrade LIS instead of install it.

Using rpm -e I was able to remove microsoft-hyper-v and kmod-microsoft-hyper-v packages. Then I could install LIS 4.0.7 without any issue. 

Many thanks

MCP 409-410

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:18 PM