none
Leveling in MS Project 2013 - No result at all... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!
    I've been trying to level a 77 task project with 2 resources (coming from a resource pool with a custom calendar). I've perfformed Update Project with tomorrow's date and although I can see the overallocation mark next to each task, leveling does not make any changes. I get having a total of 107h on a single day.

Additionaly, the 2nd resource is set to be available in 4 months, yet all assigned tasks are starting tomorrow. 

I would greatly appreciate your assistance since this is driving my crazy... Files could be send if requested.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:34 AM

All replies

• I think that you are not leveling.
    Update Project does not level.
    Leveling is done via Resource, Leveling Options (right hand end of the ribbon), Level All.
    Send me the file to trevorATperfectproject.com.au
    Is the resource pool a separate MS Project file? If so you will have to send me that as well.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:52 AM
  • I am performing levelling AFTER Update Project. Anyhow I've detected that the problem with these 2 resources lies in proposed/commited setting. Levelling won't work with proposed (unless checking the right box) so I've turned these to commited. Now, I have to solve the freezing issue since Project is not responding since levelling started...
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:06 AM
  • By the way Trevor, is Update Project and Levelling two conflicting actions? I mean, is Levelling somehow makes Updating unnecessary?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:17 AM
  • Leveling and update project are two completely different things.

Update project converts all scheduled start and scheduled finish dates which are in the past relative to the status date into actual start and actual finish dates. Or, to put it another way, assumes that the actuals have occurred and that they are scheduled. It also assumes (or, rather, you force it to assume) that all scheduled durations in the past are actual durations.

Leveling delays tasks which have over-allocate resources until the assignments no longer exceed the max units.

Regarding what looks like "freezing", it may be that MSP is just doing the calculations and if you are patient it will find the leveling solution and un-freeze. If you have given it a situation such as resources assigned to both summary and the tasks under it, then it may continue to try to resolve the over-allocation even though no solution is possible, and of course this takes a long time.

How about sending the file(s) anyway?

• Proposed as answer by Trevor Rabey Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Thank you very much for your proposal!

Files were sent to your personal perfectproject.com.au email account.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:18 AM