MOM RRS feed

• Question

• I need to understand this MOM.
    In our environment we still have SMS 2.0 active.
    Few months ago we installed SCE2007 which was functioning ON/OFF. So we decided to re-install SCE 2007 on a Windows 2003 64 Bits server and the database will be on a seperate SQL box.
    At the moment we run into some problems with re-installing SCE 2007 AGAIN.

But before I proceed with SCE 2007 installation, I want someone to make me understand what is MOM and do I need this with SCE 2007?
    Where can I find this in our environment bcux we still have SMS 2.0.
    Which version of MOM would I need with SCE2007...........that is if i need it.

Thanks

Deep Kumar
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Deep - I thought you said SCE was already installed.

If you are getting "error 25156. Failed to create MOM database" during SCE install then you have a SCE install failure issue?

"MOM" is a legacy name for the System Center Operations Manager database SCE uses and there are still some error messages from SCE that have the MOM name in them.

Error 25156 is caused during SCE install when the SQL side of SCE setup can't create the SCE database. This can be caused by many reasons such as left-over SQL log files from a previous SCE install, etc.

I would focus on making sure your target SCE computer is cleaned of old SQL files, databases, and programs. Try and start your SCE install on the cleanest machine possible.

Good luck,

John Joyner
    MVP-OM

• Proposed as answer by Björn Axell Friday, March 20, 2009 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jie-Feng Ren Monday, March 23, 2009 9:56 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Deep -

MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager) was the previous version of System Center Operations Manager (OpsMgr). If you are using SCE you will not use MOM at all, don't even worry about it.

The only place you might see MOM involved with SCE is if you have also deployed Microsoft Forefront Client Security (FCS). The current version of FCS uses a MOM back-end and so a SCE customer that had also deployed FCS would run both SCE agents and MOM agents on their managed computers.

In that scenario, the SCE and the MOM agents are unaware of each other and there is no impact--it's designed to work that way.
    If you don't have FCS, you won't get involved with MOM at all.

Hope this answers your question,

John Joyner
    MVP-OM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Thanks John for you help and I totally understand now the concept of MOM and FCS.

During my SCE installation I get this error message:

"error 25156. Failed to create MOM database".

Any ideas?

Thanks

Deep Kumar
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi Deep - I thought you said SCE was already installed.

If you are getting "error 25156. Failed to create MOM database" during SCE install then you have a SCE install failure issue?

"MOM" is a legacy name for the System Center Operations Manager database SCE uses and there are still some error messages from SCE that have the MOM name in them.

Error 25156 is caused during SCE install when the SQL side of SCE setup can't create the SCE database. This can be caused by many reasons such as left-over SQL log files from a previous SCE install, etc.

I would focus on making sure your target SCE computer is cleaned of old SQL files, databases, and programs. Try and start your SCE install on the cleanest machine possible.

Good luck,

John Joyner
    MVP-OM

• Proposed as answer by Björn Axell Friday, March 20, 2009 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jie-Feng Ren Monday, March 23, 2009 9:56 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:57 PM