none
How to delete a .MSI-Package from server and what happens if not cleaned?

Question

• Hi all,

i mark a software package (.msi) as remove in the GPO list softwareinstallation at Computer > Policys > Software settings > Softwareinstallation and since this action, the package is not listed anymore, but when i check the serverapps by using the following command, i always get the feedback, that the installation file is still there...does anybody know the reason and how to delete it completely?

Here comes the command and the results:

addiag.exe /verbose /user:false /test:serverapps
    ========================= Managed Applications (Server) ========================
    =

Machine dump for DOMAIN.LOCAL
    Dumping GPO list (1 items)...
            GPO GUID: {AA0D5406-FE4D-4070-ACFF-51C76399AA0E}
            Name: Software_Kaspersky_KES10WKS
                    Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 für Windows
                            Object GUID: {46357271-0083-4B89-BB00-26E6CB309103}
                            CN: 5aeb288d-4b04-4420-948e-b3089cf4a826
                            Package Flags:
                                    PostBeta3
                                    Uninstall
                            Deployed on: 01/14/2017 19:03:32
                            Changed on: 01/16/2017 09:48:02
                            MsiFileList: \\WHDE-DC01\Software\Sicherheit\Kaspersky\K
    ES10WKS\Kes10win.msi
                            ProductCode: {7A4192A1-84C4-4E90-A31B-B4847CA8E23A}
                            Revision Count: 1
                            UI Level: Full

Y:\Program Files (x86)\Support Tools>

Its a Windows 2008R2 Server

I try to uninstall via msiexec /uninstall GUID or * /x *.msi but it doenst work and when i take the policy from the centralstore manually, the entry still exists. What can i do here? Thanks for helping me!

• Edited by ajwh Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:01 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 11:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>anybody know the reason and how to delete it completely?

Some packages or applications needs to clean the registry entries or related installing folders after uninstalling.

Please try to use :Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product  to check these msi packages.

You could refer to link below to get more detailed helps:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/getting-started/cookbooks/working-with-software-installations?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Besides, you could also try using: DISM.exe to do this.

Usage:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd490958.aspx

Note: Please backup your data before operating, in case data lose.

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ajwh Friday, January 20, 2017 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:58 AM
  • > i mark a software package (.msi) as *remove *in the GPO list *softwareinstallation at *Computer > Policys > Software settings > Softwareinstallation and since this action, the package is not listed anymore, but when i check the serverapps by using the following command, i always get the feedback, that the installation file is still there...does anybody know the reason and how to delete it completely?

Removing a Package from a GPO does _not_ remove its package definition from Active Directory, nor does it remove the AAS file from Sysvol - both are required to uninstall the MSI file. To get rid of all remainings of the Package, you must delete the policy...

• Marked as answer by ajwh Friday, January 20, 2017 9:11 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some packages or applications needs to clean the registry entries or related installing folders after uninstalling.

Please try to use :Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product  to check these msi packages.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/getting-started/cookbooks/working-with-software-installations?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Usage:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd490958.aspx

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ajwh Friday, January 20, 2017 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:58 AM
  • > i mark a software package (.msi) as *remove *in the GPO list *softwareinstallation at *Computer > Policys > Software settings > Softwareinstallation and since this action, the package is not listed anymore, but when i check the serverapps by using the following command, i always get the feedback, that the installation file is still there...does anybody know the reason and how to delete it completely?

Removing a Package from a GPO does _not_ remove its package definition from Active Directory, nor does it remove the AAS file from Sysvol - both are required to uninstall the MSI file. To get rid of all remainings of the Package, you must delete the policy...

• Marked as answer by ajwh Friday, January 20, 2017 9:11 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 10:45 AM
  • Oh, so easy, thanks!
    Friday, January 20, 2017 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

Usage:

Best regards,

Andy

Thanks a lot for this good stuff, especially the first source is very interesting! ^^
    Friday, January 20, 2017 10:08 PM