none
Cross Post: Resize Window *Frame* and Not Its Contents

Question

• Since there seem to be two Hyper-V forums now. 😁

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b48288f2-2e96-40d0-b206-2df3cf959d44/resize-window-frame-and-not-its-contents?forum=win10itprovirt

Sunday, October 28, 2018 2:29 AM

Answers

• FWIW what I am doing now is putting all VMC windows in a dedicated monitor on the far right side.  That way the majority of the window is out of view and I do not have 7-layers of window hell obstructing/degrading my experience.

This might suffice now and going forward.

Thanks again to all for your assistance.

• Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, November 25, 2018 4:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:23 AM

All replies

• There are two forums because there are two different implementations - server and client.  Though the hypervisor is exactly the same for either server or client, the user interface and what you can do with it varies between the server and client implementations.  So you need to post to the proper implementation.  Your original post does not specify whether you are running Hyper-V on Windows 10 (client) or Windows/Hyper-V Server (server).  Use the appropriate forum for your question.

tim

Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Sounds pretty confusing to me, Tim.  I would rather post on each and see what sticks.  This only adds to my confusion as this talks about the new feature but doesn't mention Windows 10 anywhere (I am using Windows 10), which makes it seem like a server feature but also works on Windows 10?  CONFUSED!!! ;)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2017/01/27/introducing-vmconnect-dynamic-resize/

Furthermore, the comments of that post make it seem like it doesn't work in Windows 10 yet it does on mine?  ALLTHECONFUSE!!!  I would ask a question on that thread but I have a high degree of confidence that my question will sit there and rot like the others.

Sunday, October 28, 2018 4:30 PM
  • Hi Michael,

We have same name, great to see you!

Tim is also right, if your Hyper-V OS is windows 10, we could post this specific issue on Windows 10 Virtualization which can focus on the question for you efficiently. 

For now, you current issue is vmconnect-dynamic-resize-feature can't work on your OS windows 10 Hyper-V, is that?

In your another post (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b48288f2-2e96-40d0-b206-2df3cf959d44/resize-window-frame-and-not-its-contents?forum=win10itprovirt), did you want to change the VM's resolution to accommodate the VM window screen? 

Please try this blog and Set-VMVideo cmdlets mentioned in the MS docs to see if it helps.

https://charbelnemnom.com/2015/02/whats-new-in-powershell-for-hyper-v-in-windows-server-technical-preview-hyperv-powershell-vnext/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/hyper-v/set-vmvideo?view=win10-ps

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 29, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hi Michael,

In addition, based on my experience, vmconnect-dynamic-resize-feature ought to also work on windows10, simply requirements as below.

• You must be running in Enhanced session mode
    • You must be fully logged in to the guest OS (it won’t work on the lockscreen)

Hope this helps. Highly appreciate your effort and time. 

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 29, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hi, Michael (hey, nice name! 😁).  Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

For some additional context here, please note that I had been using a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V host for about 3 years before switching recently over to Windows 10.  The driving factor here being the hardware equipment that I was using had some very annoying side effects that I was hoping to mitigate, mostly having to do with keyboard input and Bluetooth support.  I did manage to mitigate these issues by switching to Windows 10, but now, of course, there are others which I am hoping to nip here.

Hopefully, that further highlights my penchant for posting in the two groups.  I appreciate both you and Tim's feedback here and will do better going forward to keep things a little more organized for your efforts.

That said, I distinctly recall in Windows Server 2016 that I could resize my Hyper-V instances when I restored out of full screen.  I have "restore" mapped to one of my mouse buttons and I am shocked (but happy) that it hasn't worn out yet; I use it all the time.

Part of this process is that after I restore out of full screen, the window size is enormous, being sized exactly the size of the guest resolution, which is all four of my utilized monitors, resulting in a window size of 1900x1020 x 2, or approximately 3800x2040.  

BUT THAT IS NOT ALL. 😅 I recently added another GPU to up my monitor count and now I have five monitors, resulting in a total screen size of 5700x2040.  This is for each VM that I have on my host which is around 8. 

Hopefully, you can understand the situation that I find myself in now.  When exiting from fullscreen I have all these other massive windows that are so large they do not even fit across my five monitors, which is a bit of a visual nightmare.

In Windows Server 2016, I recall being able to resize the frames of the windows, whereby scrollbars would appear on the Virtual Machine Connection window as the inside client content had remained exactly the same.  This no longer occurs with the latest Hyper-V (or is it because of Windows 10? -- again, so confuse!) as it appears that when you resize the external frame, you are actually resizing the internal contents.

So to be sure to underscore my dilemma here: when jumping out of fullscreen, I would usually drag the top left corner (as it was visible) and resize the external window to a fraction of the size that it would start out at, resulting in scrollbars to navigate the client area, as it had remained exactly the same.

For now, you current issue is vmconnect-dynamic-resize-feature can't work on your OS windows 10 Hyper-V, is that?

If you mean that I cannot be having it work, then yes. :)  To further clarify, the vmconnect dynamic resize is working exactly as advertised, but I do not want that, I want the previous behavior as resizing the window now resize my internal contents and I have my windows in there exactly how I want them; I do not want them touched!

Also, I did take a look at those PowerShell commands, thank you for providing them.  They appear to be setting the actual client resolution and not the external frame if I am not mistaken.  Additionally, you have to turn the client machines off which was not required when I was performing the expected behavior Windows Server 2016.  In the scenario I am describing, I was able to resize at any time, leaving scrollbars in the client area, and then jump back into fullscreen if necessary.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you think I have misunderstood something here.

Thanks again for your assistance!

• Edited by Mike-EEE Monday, October 29, 2018 12:01 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Hello all... I wanted to check in with this thread.  Please let me know if there are any questions to my lengthy diatribe and/or if there is any further way that I can assist in addressing this issue.
    Monday, November 5, 2018 1:04 PM
  • "the vmconnect dynamic resize is working exactly as advertised, but I do not want that"

Microsoft has a location for you to make such requests - https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295050-virtualization

tim

Monday, November 5, 2018 2:47 PM
  • I am familiar with UserVoice, Tim, thank you for your continued assistance.  As I stated, I am looking for the previous resize behavior that already existed before the vmconnect resize behavior.  That is not a request, but simply finding where it is and how to enable it.  I do not see any statements in the article or elsewhere that this behavior has been removed/replaced.
    • Edited by Mike-EEE Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:25 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2018 6:14 PM
  • FWIW what I am doing now is putting all VMC windows in a dedicated monitor on the far right side.  That way the majority of the window is out of view and I do not have 7-layers of window hell obstructing/degrading my experience.

This might suffice now and going forward.

Thanks again to all for your assistance.

• Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, November 25, 2018 4:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. 

Thanks for your sharing as it would be very helpful to others who encounters a similar issue.

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 8:26 AM