DeploymentScripts\Wizard.hta (Win10) Not Running RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using MDT to deploy a Windows 10 image to a test device. After the imaging process the machine logs into the Administrator account where usually the Deployment Wizard should launch and complete the MDT deployment, following a successful message or errors. However, after the device auto logs into the Administrator account to complete MDT, I am presented with a blank Wizard.hta screen. I followed the path to where the Wizard.hta is launching from and the folder is empty.

Folder = C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DeploymentScripts\Wizard.hta

I also located the log file and found this: (Wizard.log)

<![LOG[Property LogPath is now = C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS]LOG]!><time="15:39:25.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.3.8330.1000]LOG]!><time="15:39:25.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[Property Debug is now = FALSE]LOG]!><time="15:39:25.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[Not Wizard = False]LOG]!><time="15:39:25.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[FAILURE ( 20001 ): Definition file not defined. Please call with /Defintion:<file>   CommandLine:
    "\\myimages\mymdt\Scripts\Wizard.hta"]LOG]!><time="15:39:25.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="3" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.3.8330.1000]LOG]!><time="15:40:01.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[Not Wizard = False]LOG]!><time="15:40:01.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="1" thread="" file="Wizard">
    <![LOG[FAILURE ( 20001 ): Definition file not defined. Please call with /Defintion:<file>   CommandLine:
    "\\myimages\mymdt\Scripts\Wizard.hta"]LOG]!><time="15:40:01.000+000" date="03-14-2016" component="Wizard" context="" type="3" thread="" file="Wizard">

Would anyone know why the Wizard.hta is not properly launching and why MDT is not completing on Windows 10? 

Thank-you,

AP

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

What version of MDT are you running??

Can you show the BBD.log file??

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Hi Per,

The version of MDT we are running is:

Management Console 3.0
    Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Microsoft Deployment Workbench
    Version 6.3.8330.1000

I having problems uploading the BDD file because its going over the (60000 text count for a post). Is there something specific you are looking for?

Anthony

Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Hello,

I do have the same behavior, but it's depending on the model of the pc, or even on random situation.

My tasks are stopping once the wizard doesn't launch, and therefore the machine is never complete.

If anyone can help, would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Franck

• Proposed as answer by Fwest7 Friday, April 22, 2016 9:05 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:43 PM
  • A URL link to logs is always preferred. The unformatted logs are painful to look at without CMTrace. See the FAQ for more information.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: <a href="https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef0a9119-63b6-45ae-a871-866ea62ee3e8/mdt-technet-forum-faq-getting-started-guide?forum=mdt"> MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide</a> Please take the time to read it.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:42 PM
  • I'm seeing the same behavior on an HP EliteDesk 800 G2.  The imaging is successful, but any customization from the task sequence after the initial login is incomplete.  I tried a few different task sequences.

After seeing this post, I tested them out on some G1's and there were no problems, so it does seem to be model specific here too.

Microsoft Deployment Workbench
    Microsoft
    Version: 6.3.8330.1000

• Edited by Joebakb Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:30 PM
  • The clues logs would give would be helpful.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:46 PM
  • I ran a BIOS update on the G2 and it looks like it fixed the issue there.  I have others that I can grab the logs from tomorrow if nobody has responded by the time I make it back here.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:13 PM
  • I am having the same issue on Dell latitude e5570 and e6540.  Windows 7 image works just fine.  I have update the bios to the newest version but still having issues.   Any ideas?

Thanks

Blaine

• Proposed as answer by Leigh Ranger Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hi everyone

Ok i wanted to respond to this

As i have seen this problem

it was happening on hp probook 430 g1 & surface pro 3 .

However on all other models of computers and tablet we have  the problem don't exist,

what i found was   i was getting this error  the Mdt  would put the files on the computer or tablet  then reboot.

and get a blank wizard.hta file  , if after that i turned off the unit and reboot windows 10 would boot  however i was left with the Litetouch .vbs error message on my screen and the minint folder deleted.  basically stuffing up my automated build.

Like i say the same build don't cause problems on other models.

After searching around for 6 weeks i found that there was no windows 10  driver for the hp 430 g1 however i know i have the latest surface pro drivers  , still causing me an issue

after searching i found on the realtek website a windows 10  driver for the model of lan gigabit  and installed that driver into my image.

And It worked  first go the 430 probook g1  built no errors , i realised that the driver being downloaded in winpe was generic and when the litetouch restart it was loosing the network connection and hence a blank wizard.hta

I found the 2 files for the Surface pro 3 and decided to install them  in the image labeled donlges and assign it to my surface pro. 

and this then fixed the surface pro issue.

basically it was a missing driver files in my image and windows 10  was using generic drivers and caused me the issue.

I hope this helps someone out there   took me 6 weeks on and off to figure this out.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Hi. 

I have had the same issue with some Dell Latitude models and Windows 10

I suspect it has something to do with the NIC driver being updated by Windows doing the first boot into Windows. 

When I compared the driver in MDT (out-of-box drivers), which is the latest CAB from Dell, and the driver in the machine, it was the same version but the publish date was different and the version on the machine was newer than the one in MDT (out-of-box drivers)

So I exported the driver from the machine and replaced it with the driver(s) in MDT (out-of-box drivers).

I am currently running tests on this but haven had the problem since.

Why this happens and why MS Update has a different (Newer) publish date than the one from Dell, I can’t say. But I do see this leading to more deployment problems if  a driver with different publish date exist I different driver catalogs (Dell and Microsoft Update), and the driver you get from the manufacture is not the newest. 

Br Søren

Friday, June 17, 2016 11:55 AM
  • My issue is with a Latitude 7404, 14 Rugged Extreme. After a reboot in MDT, it does talk back to the server and runs more commands, so the NIC driver is working. Its just the final summary page which is blank. I'm guessing its not the NIC driver since I have other steps that succeed after reboot.
    Updating BIOS now to test that out.
    Monday, July 25, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Worked for me as well. I'm running an image of WIN 10 on XPS 9550 off WDS. Deployment seems to get stuck running multiple images at once which cause the deployment wizard to fail and delete boot files. Running the BIOS update for the particular device seems to do the trick!
    • Edited by AntTech42 Monday, August 22, 2016 7:44 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 7:43 PM
  • The solution is to update the BIOS to the current version, then reimage the device.
    Its a huge endeavor to try to maintain a DB of current BIOS versions for each model, so just make it a
    standard step in your cloning procedures to update the BIOS before imaging each machine. Saves time trying to figure out what it may be, when this solves it right off.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 8:01 PM
  • We are also having some issues with random models (Surface Pro 4, Dell 7 -series, Lenovo X260)). Getting blank HTA screen and task sequence not finishing. I just started to debug this.  We are deploying Windows 10. Could it be caused by Windows 10 automatic driver update that is killing the connection to deployment share when it updates the NIC driver? We are using our local wsus to  install updates (wsus is configured not to offer any driver updates) during MDT task sequence so during deployment Windows 10 is configured to use this WSUS but will it still go MS update online and download drivers?

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:24 PM
  • And Lenovo X260 is having some serious issues randomly. In WinPE everything is working and WIM is applied always without errors but once it boots up in Windows 10 the NIC is going crazy (latency is jumping between 1ms - 500ms and dropping packets). This must be a driver issue.
    • Edited by jqx12 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:26 PM
  • I have heard of this issue, but never seen it in person. If you are still having this issue, please copy your bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive, and share the link here, perhaps it can help diagnose the issue.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:56 PM
  • I will try to post logs. 

This is log file from one of the machines (Windows 10, Lenovo X260) that failed to deploy. 

http://pastebin.com/FGEigyzY

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:33 PM