Move folders to SharePoint Online document library and use document sets RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have about 1,000 folders (with folders and files underneath the parent folder) that I need to move to a document library.  This document library has a Document Set associated with it.  If I copy or drag and drop the folders the normal folder is created.  Is there any way to turn a folder into a Document Set in a document library?  

I don't even know if anything like this is possible.

Regards,

John

Friday, April 19, 2019 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi John.

A folder and a document set are two distinct objects and the document set has more features and functionalities than a folder: as far as I know, there is no out of the box way to automatically convert a folder of a SharePoint document library into a document set, you should try looking for some third party solution.
    As a workaround, you can create a document set firstly and then upload the files with Explorer View.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, April 19, 2019 7:26 PM
  • Hi John,

There are 3rd party solutions that allow uploading of folders as Document sets. For example, SLIM Companion Explorer (http://www.slimapplications.com/product/explorer/) allows mapping of folders to specific content types like Document Sets (or flatten folder structures). However, it will also upload subfolders as document sets. Does your source system contain subfolders?

Paul | SLIM Applications
    Sunday, April 21, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi John,

Currently, there is no OOB solution to convert a folder into a document set in the document library.

As a workaround, you can create a document set firstly and then upload the files with Explorer View. 

For modern experience, click “View in File Explorer” under All Documents.

For classic experience, click “Open with Explorer” under LIBRARY on the ribbon.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:40 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 3:47 AM
  • John,

There is a utility on GitHub which does exactly what you are asking for;

https://github.com/MadAboutImport/DIFS

There are detailed examples in the documentation but the basic process is ;

list all the folders to a file (e.g. dir /b > myfile.txt)

manipulate file in excel to generate excel document or CSV

Use CSV or Excel as import source to DIFS

You can then basically configure difs to create a folder of a document set content type for each file system folder.

The separately to can run another import to put the folders in the document sets.

There is an example in the DIFS documentation for staff / employee folders and that works for document sets as long as document set content type is specified (a document set is just a folder as far as sharepoint is concern just with a different content type)

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:00 AM