Windows XP Home 2 Gigabyte Memory Upgrade Not Using All Memory RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded a Dell Inspiron 9400/1705 with 2 gigabytes of Corsair DDR2 667 Mhz memory and the system immediately began running faster as expected.  I have however run into an issue though at ~ 1.2 gigabyte ceiling.  Applications (IE, Unreal Tournament and others I would expect) seem to crash when the memory footprint approaches this area.  I did turn off the system swap file a couple of weeks ago due to the fact that  1.) the performance was horrific, 2.) the memory problem described was already being exhibited and 3.) the way I see it, 2 gigabytes of memory is more than enough for my usage - if it isn't enough I'll sell the piece of junk and buy a Commodore Vic 20.

-Joseph

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Joseph,

This forum is for issues dealing with Microsoft System Center Essentials 2007.

Please try the Dell Notebook forums located here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/?category.id=inspiron for assistance with your problem.

Thank you and Good Luck,

Tim

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Tim,

I am sorry about posting this issue to this forum.  I believe that this may be a Windows XP (Home and possibly Professional) system problem.  The operating system is basically not utilizing all of the physical memory now present in the system after being upgraded from 1 gigabyte of RAM to 2 gigabytes.  I don't believe that this issue, given the symptoms that I've witnessed, would be limited to Dell systems but thank you for your input.

Sincerely,

-Joseph

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Hi Joseph,

For the issue related to Windows XP, please use the Microsoft public newsgroups for which would be the most relevant newsgroup for your question.

Windows XP Discussions in General Discussion
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:30 AM