none
question on vss snapsnot RRS feed

• Question

• To take a backup of SQL (in sharepoint) DPM agent will take a VSS snapshot of all the disk blocks which have changed since last backup and then write them over the network. right?

My question is where is the VSS snapshot stored? is it stored in the C:| drive ? or can I give it a dedicated volume?

If I anticipate 5% change daily to my DB, then can I just take 5% of the total DB as the size required for VSS snapshots?

Friday, October 1, 2010 6:29 AM

Answers

• My question is where is the VSS snapshot stored? is it stored in the C:| drive ? or can I give it a dedicated volume?

By default the Volume Snapshot is stored on the volume where the VSS snap takes place. If you go into the properties of the C: drive, choose shadow copies and click on the volume in question, and choose settings you can modify the volume that shadow copy services will store VSS snapshots on and can limit the space used by VSS.

So VSS needs only a directory for the snapshots... not a dedicated volume?

Yes VSS only needs available disk space on a volume - you don't need to give it a dedicated volume.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I don't believe it can, No -  although I don't think I've seen anything from MS to indicate otherwise. The reason is that VSS operates at a block level on the file system so the location of the VSS snap needs to be on a disk local to the OS for I/O performance - having said that if you had an iSCSI disk you could in theory place your Shadow Copies on that but I'd be very hesitant to do so for performance reasons.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• Most likely C:

Try:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

There are commands to change it too.

Friday, October 1, 2010 2:35 PM
  • So VSS needs only a directory for the snapshots... not a dedicated volume?

How much space should I keep for VSS snapshots.

Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:47 PM
  • bump!
    Monday, October 4, 2010 1:39 PM
  • My question is where is the VSS snapshot stored? is it stored in the C:| drive ? or can I give it a dedicated volume?

By default the Volume Snapshot is stored on the volume where the VSS snap takes place. If you go into the properties of the C: drive, choose shadow copies and click on the volume in question, and choose settings you can modify the volume that shadow copy services will store VSS snapshots on and can limit the space used by VSS.

So VSS needs only a directory for the snapshots... not a dedicated volume?

Yes VSS only needs available disk space on a volume - you don't need to give it a dedicated volume.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Can the VSS snapshot be taken remotely.... like on a network share??
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:05 AM
  • I don't believe it can, No -  although I don't think I've seen anything from MS to indicate otherwise. The reason is that VSS operates at a block level on the file system so the location of the VSS snap needs to be on a disk local to the OS for I/O performance - having said that if you had an iSCSI disk you could in theory place your Shadow Copies on that but I'd be very hesitant to do so for performance reasons.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:16 AM