none
How to completely turn off excel-addin local cache?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

as in other threads described the OfflineCache functionality of excel/pps-clients (incl.SP1) doesn't work  in any environment and always as expected:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3575701&SiteID=17
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2912288&SiteID=17

So i'm looking for a way to completely disable the Offline Functionality in PPS-Installations where this functionality is not needed! Our users will never need this functionality because they PPS-Client is provided with WindowsTS/Citrix. I want that every excel add-in MDX query should run against server cube and never with local (file) cache as datasource! But that seems to be impossile in my environment?!

I would be so happy if someone from the pps-dev-team at MS could explain  in detail the process how LocalCache works and can be turned off! Are there changes coming in SP2?

As i know OfflinceCache is controlled by 2 settings. Are there more?

1. Model Property "Enable offline-cubes"
    --> must be "false" to disable OfflineCache??
    2. Excel Add-In Ribbon>Options>"Automatically cache assignments locally"
    --> deselect to disable offlinecache??

I tryed every setting-combination, redeployed cube... the problem in excel still exists and is reproducable:´
    Excel-AddIn still uses this unwished localcache files!!! (-> Checked with MDX query against cube to see that new new values are present)
    If user A submits changes other Users with assignments for same data range cant't see this changes.
    Because of local cache is stored in user profile, User A can't also see his own changes if he logs on to another machine Smile

You can monitor this by looking at the timestamps of the OfflineCache files in user profile:

Vista Users Client side PPS Cache location:
    C: "\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\PerformancePoint\OfflineCache"
    XP Users Client side PPS Cache location: 
    C: “\Documents and Settings\%userProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\PerformancePoint\OfflineCache”

The funny thing is that User even gets correctly a popup "local cache out-of-date" on assginment-open and the timestamps in offlinecache-folder in users profile changes when clicking "update"...But equal of user clicks "update" or "don't update" button query runs always against the (not refreshed) cache and returns old values. The ownly automateable way i know is to refresh the local cache is for to delete the OfflineCache Folder in user-profile and re-open assignment.

The temoporary manual workaround for user is currently to:
    - completly close all excel instances
    - Select Start>Programms>PerformancePoint2007>"Excel Add-In Configuration.."
    - Button "Clear Cache"

This is bad for usability and bad for PerformancePoint-acceptance as a reliable planning-tool.
    Someone with same experience and/or solutions?

Thanks
    JJ

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:46 PM

Answers

•  

Yes, i could identify the problem and resolve! Thanks to Peter and Aseem for your tipps!

The problem was not the local cube-data but the metadata,concrete the user Change-List!

After doing "clear current changes" or setting SP1 report property "clear changes after workflow action" to TRUE the problem dissapeared! Smile

>Which is what you are trying to accomplish correct? 

There is a User A and a Manager B, both persons have same permissions on model-data.

If user A makes changes to assginments and submits, manager B couldn't see this changes.

A and B could change the SAME cell to different times... My expectation was now that both User will see after refresh always the latest values as stored in cube... But as change-list ist not cleared by default after workflow actions the user sees only "his" values and not the newer updates done for same cell by another person!

Setting SP1 report property "clear changes after workflow action" to TRUE changes this behaviour.

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/blogs/sachatomey/archive/2008/07/29/performancepoint-server-planning-sp1-clear-changes-after-workflow-action.aspx

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:52 AM

All replies

• Both of those properties should correctly control whether a local cube is created. but they do not prevent other metadata from being cached locally. Check those local settings directories for *.cub files to be sure. Its some confusing terminology which I apologize for, but those options will only control whether a local cube is created.

If you are seeing the cube file still being created and data has been written to the server correctly used then you should probably contact support.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Hi Peter,

thanks for your response. I can't find any *.cub files on my entire harddrive user userprofiles. Also in OfflineCache-File catalog.xml is no reference to a *.cub file...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4012080&SiteID=17

If i close excel and run "excel add-in configuration..." >clear cache or manually delete files from OfflineCache-Folder..

open excel again...i see the new values from cube.. so the "old" cube data must be stored in the *.dat files of OfflineCache?

I will open another ms-call as suggested and keep the forum updated...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:18 AM
  • Hello,

I think what Peter is saying is these setting will prevent the offline cube from caching in the profile but they will not prevent other metadata from being cached.  I don't think there is a way to stop the offlinecahce folder from forming in the users profile since it must store some of this metadata.  Which is what you are trying to accomplish correct? 

What you can possibly do is create a login script for your users that will delete the contents of this folder upon login in the morning.

Thanks,

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:48 PM
  •  

Yes, i could identify the problem and resolve! Thanks to Peter and Aseem for your tipps!

The problem was not the local cube-data but the metadata,concrete the user Change-List!

After doing "clear current changes" or setting SP1 report property "clear changes after workflow action" to TRUE the problem dissapeared! Smile

>Which is what you are trying to accomplish correct? 

There is a User A and a Manager B, both persons have same permissions on model-data.

If user A makes changes to assginments and submits, manager B couldn't see this changes.

A and B could change the SAME cell to different times... My expectation was now that both User will see after refresh always the latest values as stored in cube... But as change-list ist not cleared by default after workflow actions the user sees only "his" values and not the newer updates done for same cell by another person!

Setting SP1 report property "clear changes after workflow action" to TRUE changes this behaviour.

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/blogs/sachatomey/archive/2008/07/29/performancepoint-server-planning-sp1-clear-changes-after-workflow-action.aspx

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:52 AM
  • Hi JJ78,

We are currently thinking of a PPS Planning deployement using Citrix, and i would like to have your feedback on it: does it works properly ? what are the limitations ? what version of citrix you are using ? is it only the excel add-in that has to be under citrix ? ...

Thanks for any information

Fabrice

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:28 AM