none
Auto download of McAfee antivirus during Win 10 security scan RRS feed

• Question

• Why does win 10 download McAfee antivirus during active antivirus scan? It was not previously installed. No browser was open. I had just finished a system update and decided to run the built-in MS antivirus. I ran the complete scan that takes 1 hour or more. Halfway through the scan I got a McAfee popup saying there was a malware detection. I went to apps and sure enough there was the McAfee app installed just 5 minutes earlier though no one had attempted nor desired that antivirus to be installed. This was my wife's computer and she almost never runs the win10 since we use linux mostly. I purchased the win10 so she could run games. I clean the browser cache before shutdown. It doesn't make sense to me unless there is some kind of PUA installed that called for a download from McAfee. Any suggestions to enable me to track down WHY it downloaded and installed it on it's own would be appreciated.
    Monday, March 11, 2019 9:26 PM

All replies

• It probably came from your hardware vendor. Open programs and features in control panel (just type control in the Cortana search box), and see if it's there and when it was installed.

Monday, March 11, 2019 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

In general, such three-party anti-virus software is not automatically installed.

From Windows side, I suggest you uninstall McAfee from Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features  if it unnecessary for you.

Hope these are helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

No. I never did find out the WHY it was installed or by WHO. I have uninstalled it and it has remained uninstalled. I examined logs that SHOULD tell me at least who or what program called for it but there is no record of it. I remain perplexed and a bit uneasy that it happened. None of my malware checks have returned a positive. I will end this post with this reply.
    Monday, March 18, 2019 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updating.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:05 AM