none
VDI licensing, confused??? RRS feed

• Question

• So we have a need to run one fat client on the network, this client is a workstation that already has a licensed OEM copy of Windows 10 (was purchased with the workstation). They want to be able to access a VDI instance being hosted off the server, which is running server 2012 R2 (also completely licensed).

This will only be used from this one workstation/client, so I guess I need a license for the template I will be creating for the actual Virtual machine (will use an evaluation copy and will purchase a license this week)

Am I correct in thinking this is the only thing I need? We have CALs for all workstations, etc. and as I mentioned the workstation has it's own license so I think it's good.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:07 AM

All replies

• Nope, VDI is very, very expensive.  

See this:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/124053-licensing-windows-10-with-virtualization-technologies-how-to

"Windows Software Assurance (SA) and Windows Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) are the licensing options required when accessing a Windows desktop OS in a VM, either locally or remotely. Windows SA and Windows VDA are device based licenses, and under select Volume Licensing agreements available in a Per User license option."

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:23 PM