SharePoint 2007 - Linking columns in a list to pull data from the same user. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a picture library to display pictures of our employees.

I want to have a picture, Employee Name, Employee Title, and Employee Location as the columns.

If I set up the columns to get the information from User\Groups them chose from All Users: and selec the field Name, when I go to add the persons name, I can do select the person out of the users directory and it correctly shows the person name.  Similarly  I can do the same for Employee Title and Location.  It will let me chose the employee from the directory and correctly display their title and location in the list. 

My question is, can i set up title and location to look at Employee Name and pull the user from that field to display title and location? 

Right now I have to enter the employees name 3 times. 

• Moved by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFTModerator Monday, October 31, 2011 9:45 AM sharepoint 2007 issue (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tried this by workflow. You can follow the steps:

1.      Choose to start workflow when a new item is created or changed.

2.      Choose Update List Item in Actions directly. Add the two fields like this:

3.      After creating the workflow, we only need to fill in EMPLOYEE NAME, and whenever we create or edit an item, the EMPLOYEE TITLE and LOCATION will always be the same as EMPLOYEE NAME.

Hope this help.

Thanks,  
    Emir
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, November 4, 2011 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:40 AM

All replies

• You'd have to create a custom field in order to do that but its possible.
    Pranav Sharma
    SharePoint Consultant, Portal Solutions
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried this by workflow. You can follow the steps:

1.      Choose to start workflow when a new item is created or changed.

2.      Choose Update List Item in Actions directly. Add the two fields like this:

3.      After creating the workflow, we only need to fill in EMPLOYEE NAME, and whenever we create or edit an item, the EMPLOYEE TITLE and LOCATION will always be the same as EMPLOYEE NAME.

Hope this help.

Thanks,  
    Emir
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, November 4, 2011 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:40 AM