none
Costs per Month RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project plan which has single Task lines but for which under the Resource Usage view has the number of hours to be spent on the task over a long duration.  For example.  Task 1 might have 16 hours in Feb, 16 hours in March, 16 hours in April etc.

I have costs associated with the resources so I was looking for a report/view which would show me the costs associated with each task on a per Month basis.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:24 PM

Answers

• Su,

Maybe I'm missing something but why not just set the timescale for the Task Usage view to show months?

John

• Marked as answer by SuClarke Monday, February 13, 2017 6:04 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:29 PM
  • I suspect you are looking at the Gant Chart View, showing the single column in the table "Cost". Yes, that will be the total.

What you should look at is Menu: View, Button Task Usage (as suggested by John). In the "Details" column, right mouse click and add "cost" to the view. Change the time scale to months, which is what you wanted.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Monday, February 13, 2017 5:11 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:10 PM

All replies

• Su,

Maybe I'm missing something but why not just set the timescale for the Task Usage view to show months?

John

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi John - doing that doesn't have any impact on the costs calculation that I can see.  Although I am new to MS Project to happy to be corrected.

Cheers,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Su,

Are you showing the Costs field on the Task Usage View?  If not add them, and if the time scale is set to Months (as John suggested), you'll see costs in those cells.

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Hi - Definitely not changing for me.  I have a task line with Cost = £31,622.00 which is the total cost for the duration over several months.  That number remains unchanged regardless of whether the timeline is set to Days or Months.

Thanks,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Su,

I think best if you show a screen shot of wha you are seeing/doing.

You seem to have only the total shown; whereas in the Task Usage you *should* be seeing the time series of costs by month, which add up to the total you see.

but our hand-waving and talking does not help. Show us a picture of what you see.

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:49 PM
  • I am getting an error when trying to upload my image so unable to share a screenshot at this time :(

Says I cant add images until my account has been verified.

For now this is what I can share:

Start 1/2

Finish 28/4

Duration 55 Days

Work 440hrs

Actual Work 64 hrs (so far)

It spans from Feb  - April at a total cost of £31,622.80 and that is what is displayed in the Costs column.

The Feb hours are actually 144h (when the Timescale is set to Months) but the cost remains the same.  If I manually calculate 144h * 71.87 (the resource's hourly rate) then the cost for Feb would be £10,349.28 and it is that monthly cost that I need to report against rather than the total.

Will try to add an image as soon as I am able to.

Thanks,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:07 PM
  • I suspect you are looking at the Gant Chart View, showing the single column in the table "Cost". Yes, that will be the total.

What you should look at is Menu: View, Button Task Usage (as suggested by John). In the "Details" column, right mouse click and add "cost" to the view. Change the time scale to months, which is what you wanted.

• Edited by Rob Schneider Monday, February 13, 2017 5:11 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Su,

Did Rob clarify what you need to do or do you still have a question?

John

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Hi

I am pretty sure I am on the Task Usage view not Gantt but cannot add a screenshot right now to provide further info.  As soon as my account has been cleared to upload images I shall share some more details.

thanks to you both for your time so far though,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:55 PM
  • OK - I realise now what the issue was. I had the Cost Column visible in the Task/Resource Usage area but not in the area where the hours are displayed.

Thanks Rob and John for your assistance here.

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Su,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:14 PM