Start up menu is too small RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! everybody,

I have just moved from XP to 7 and I have found this.

The start up pop ups menu that I can hardly see, and it has even a scrool bar???

I am not completely with the new start menu. Maybe the design is good for tablets and small devices, but.. Come on! I cannot believe have spent 1500$ on a laptop with a HUGE monitor to have that little menus that I can hardly see on the start menu. 

In XP I usually have a huge menu that fortunately take advantage of the whole resolution of the screen.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After you install a few dozen applications, your Start menu can become very crowded. To reduce the clutter, it is recommended to use small icons. And we can just use the large icons in Start menu:

Click the Start Menu tab, and then click Customize.

Scroll to the bottom of the list, clear the Use large icons check box, and then click OK twice

But I would like to know what is the real meaning of “The feature is disable” when you uncheck the option Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer. Could you upload some related screenshots in this post?

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:09 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:57 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Right click on the task bar at the bottom and click properties... ensure use small icons is not ticked and you can also unselect lock task abr to drag the task bar to make it bigger.

hope this helps

Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:38 AM
  • I am refering to the start menu, not the task bar. When click on the star menu, the icons are big, but when I move to "all programs" the icons are so small that I can hardly see, and instead of spans the whole screen, it is restricted to a small area with a vertical scroll bar...

I have found a bug. I uncheck the option "open subfolders on mouse hover" then apply. The feature is disable. The I check the option again, apply, and the feature is still disable.

(Sorry if I am not using the correct expression of the otion menu, I am using a spanish version and I haven't found any option to change the language, yet)

• Edited by Mario_7 Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

After you install a few dozen applications, your Start menu can become very crowded. To reduce the clutter, it is recommended to use small icons. And we can just use the large icons in Start menu:

Click the Start Menu tab, and then click Customize.

Scroll to the bottom of the list, clear the Use large icons check box, and then click OK twice

But I would like to know what is the real meaning of “The feature is disable” when you uncheck the option Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer. Could you upload some related screenshots in this post?

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:09 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:57 AM