IE11 KB2884101 and Windows 8.1 GA rollup updates update break WebGL GPU acceleration RRS feed

• Question

• The screenshot is self explanatory. Before the installation of the above mentioned updates both fps rates were equal.

JTS

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the issue, I suggest you try the system restore to check if the issue was caused by the update.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Meanwhile, if the issue persists, I suggest you reset your IE11 to see if it works.

1.Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.

2.Start Internet Explorer.

Note If you are running Windows 8, start Internet Explorer for the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.

3.On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.

4.In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.

5.Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.

In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

6.Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.

7.When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.

8.Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by FJTORSOL Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:41 AM
  • I have tried a fresh Windows 8.1 VHD installation before and after the IE11 KB2884101 update and the results still the same.

Before:

After:

JTS

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Any plans to fix this?? Seems quite absurd to have non hardware accelerated webgl as the performance turns lower than canvas based 3D. Why the support effort on Windows 8.1 is so low?? Every update for Microsoft's latest products brakes something no matter if it's Office 2013 or Windows 8.1. I am starting to regret of buying this software I should have stick with Windows 7.

JTS

Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:13 PM
  • I really liked last IE versions but this seems to be a call for switch. I don't think it is that difficult to at least answer to the post explaining why it happens...

JTS

• Edited by FJTORSOL Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:58 AM
  • IE11 continues to use CPU for webGL instead of GPU. Would it be so hard for Microsoft to respond to their contractually obligated support tasks??

JTS

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:21 PM
  • Today I tried an VHD instalation of Windows 7 64-bit and the result is the same. Why does this happen?? WebGL does not require tesselation and my GPU is DX10 capable with WHQL certified drivers. 

JTS

Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:39 PM