Reinstalling SharePoint 2013 Workflow Manager - still retain existing created workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have installed Workflow Manager and been running good for past three years.  Now,  due to some issue with the WF certificate expired and we have been unable to replace with the new certificate.

I have tried on several approach and procedure found on the Internet but without success.

My last resort will be to uninstall the current installation and Reinstall a new Workflow Manger farm.

My question here

After reinstall Workflow Manager successful,  are all existing workflow will still run or not?

I plan to backup all existing workflows and found some knowledge base to how to restore them but I don't know if that will work or not

if you have done or know specific actions to do reinstall workflow manager 2013 properly,  please share.

Thanks in advance for all comments or advices

Swanl

Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To renew the expired certificates used in Workflow Manager farm, you must at least install Cumulative Update 4 (CU4) for Workflow Manager 1.0. Before this update, renewing the expired farm certificates was not allowed. This cu add support for renewing the expired certificates used in Workflow Manager farm.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4019220/description-of-the-cumulative-update-4-for-workflow-manager-1-0

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Monday, April 15, 2019 3:42 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To renew the expired certificates used in Workflow Manager farm, you must at least install Cumulative Update 4 (CU4) for Workflow Manager 1.0. Before this update, renewing the expired farm certificates was not allowed. This cu add support for renewing the expired certificates used in Workflow Manager farm.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4019220/description-of-the-cumulative-update-4-for-workflow-manager-1-0

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Monday, April 15, 2019 3:42 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Hi

Thanks so much for the information.  It good to know that Microsoft finally got a fix to a CU for Workflow Manager 1.0.  I hope this information will be available online so it helps others as when I searched online for WFM expired certificate issue, I didn't find any mention to this.  

It was a little late for us, as we don't have CU 4 update installed when this happened and since WFM can no longer working,  we could not install the CU either..

but,  we was able to fix this last night.  we worked with Microsoft engineer and went through a set of action steps on the WFM servers (we installed WFM on 3 servers for redundancy).

Thanks

Swanl

• Edited by swanl98 Friday, April 12, 2019 4:01 PM summary
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Monday, April 15, 2019 1:30 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Hi Swanl,

Glad that you fixed this issue. Thanks for your sharing. Please remember to mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:34 AM