Windows Vista Update Error Code 80073715 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have this error code coming out when I try to download Vista Update KB938371 from Windows Update. The download reaches 8% and then stops and shows Error Code 80073715. Is there any solution to this problem? I downloaded the standalone update manually but it does not install either and does not give any error code.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

KB938371 installed succesfully but I did not do anything new to the computer. Something happened, may be my computer had some issues to solve. The only new thing I did was installing Silverlight from the microsoft site. Anyway, thanks for your help. I will let people know if SP1 can be installed succesfully. Thank you again.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi

Whit my PC happens the same.

Same update til 8 %

same error code.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  

Hi,

Try downloading KB938371 manually from the following site:

Windows Vista 32bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=695d7c32-252c-40e8-a15d-81029bec7d76&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista 64bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46a4ed53-4000-4d0e-baff-eed79780f9ef&DisplayLang=en

Then double-click the downloaded package to install it.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:48 AM
  • It did not work. The install bar went up very fast and then a message "failed" showed up. Any other solution?
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I've been getting this error message for about 3 weeks.  I've got other issues that can't seem to be repaired.  It strange how I've found some solutions on websites other than Microsoft, or is it by design.  There are several know issues that don't seem to be documented via Microsoft. Please understand, known is not a term that is exclusive to Microsoft.  However it referres to numerous MS user desperately seeking advice, solutions and/or relief elsewhere.  It's sad to see that a company the size of Microsoft deny's it's loyal users good customer service. 

This email is intended to lead other users to speak out.  Installing and using Vista has been the most frustrating experience regarding an operating system to date.  It appears that Microsoft has gone to great lengths to prevent piracy.  I'm all for anti theft.  However, it has caused me a great deal of problems.  The logic is incomplete and it's taken hours of my time working through the issues.

Perhaps SP1 will correct these issues.  Just be upfront and let everyone know...  It's simple.  Just give us a list telling us what to expect in the way of issues and let us know when they will be corrected.  Accountability... what a concept...

Smiling... as you know you've got me... You cant' go to the retailer and get your money back...

XP had a simple CHKDSK /F.  WHY IS THAT NO LONGER A METHOD OF REPAIR.  WHY DOES MICROSOFT KEEP CHANGE THE FEEL OF CONTROL. 

OK JUST TELL ME HOW TO FIX THE FREAKING ERRORS.  IE: ERROR  CODE 80073715 NEEDS IT'S OWN PAGE.  AND THE LATEST INFO REGARDING THAT ERROR IS AT THE TOP.  HAVING AN INDICATOR AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE INFORMING THE VISITOR OF THE STATUS.  UNSOLVED   PARTIALLY SOLVE   SOLVED... THAT WOULD ELIMINATE FOLKS HUNTING ALL OVER THE WORLD WIDE WEB SPENDING HOURS UPON HOURS SEEKING A SOLUTION...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME...

AND YOUR WELCOME

• Proposed as answer by jbwh Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:08 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2008 4:19 AM
  • Hi EduardoW,

Given the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps:

Step 1 Register Windows Update component

============================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command.

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL

Step 2 Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

=================================

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 3 Clean Boot

============================

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System"

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

Try to install KB938371 again.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:10 AM
  •  

Thank you Tim Quan...

I've since reinstalled the system... It's better now... however after installing all of the hot fixes... sfc tells me that there are issues that can not be fixed...   Should I try the above instructions... Please advise as I am beta testing another product and can not have any more significant down time...  Also what's up with the 3.2 gig limitation on Ram...

Regards,

Brad Farris

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:20 AM
  • It did not work. I got the same error code 80073715 and the same update KB938371 failed. Thank you. Any other solution?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:21 PM
  •  

Hi EduardoW,

KB938371 is one of three prerequisite updates needed to install Windows Vista SP1 RTM. If you are not planning to install Windows Vista SP1 RTM now, you do not need to install it and you can hide it.

To hide the update, please open Control Panel -> Windows Update, click Check for updates and click View available updates. Right-click KB938371 and click Hide this update.

Then KB938371 will be hidden and you will not be prompted to install KB938371 in the future.

If you prefer to install Windows Vista SP1 RTM, I suggest checking if KB938371 has already been installed using the following method:

Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features, click View installed updates. Is KB938371 listed?

If not, I recommand ignoring the issue and installing Windows Vista SP1 RTM directly.

Can SP1 RTM  be installed?

For more information about KB938371, please refer to the following article:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/12/windows-vista-sp1-prerequisites-non-security-update-coming-via-windows-update.aspx

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Hi Tim,

KB938371 installed succesfully but I did not do anything new to the computer. Something happened, may be my computer had some issues to solve. The only new thing I did was installing Silverlight from the microsoft site. Anyway, thanks for your help. I will let people know if SP1 can be installed succesfully. Thank you again.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:55 PM
  •  

Same problem here... cant install KB938371...
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Hey,

My computer keeps coming up with that error code 80073715 when i try installing

KB938371. Any chance you can help? its causing errors to occur in other parts of my comp.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:04 AM
  • That error message implies the package that was downloaded is not the
    correct version or is already on the machine or possibly corrupted. If
    there was a prerelease package that was installed, you may see this error.
    See if the package is available for uninstall via control panel - installed
    updates. Attempt to remove it.  Add/Remove - be sure to check show all
    updates.

Click here to know more information.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:38 AM