DPM 2010 Long Term Backup to tape not using tapes as expected RRS feed

• Question

• I have a long term tape based backup configured for my single DPM protection group. I have the long term protection using a stand alone tape library set as follows:

retention goal 1:
    1 recovery point every day for 20 days
    label Backup Daily 0

retention goal 2:
    1 recovery point every 4 weeks for 52 weeks.
    label Backup 4 Weeks 0

So effectively I have 4 weeks of backups mon-fri and on the 4th week I want a backup to occur on the friday that is set to backup the longer retention period to tape.

Here is my problem. I am around to the last friday of the 4th week and two things have happened. The 4 weekly backup didnt use the free tape in the drive instead the daily backup was done and the tape was labelled *00020 which I would expect if there was no 4 weekly backup configured. But there is. What happened to my 4 weekly backup? I would have expected this tape to be labeled "Backup 4 weeks 00001" not "Backup Daily 00020"

The 4 weekly backup never happened and now that I am into the 5th week the tapes are being labelled 00021, 00022 for the subsequent backups... Should it not start over again at 00001 since i am at the beginning of a new retention period?

Thanks for any assistance. DPM tape based backups are a nightmare...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When did you set up the Monthly protection goal or when was the last time you went through the PG wizard ? 

The reason I ask is because as per the following technet article (which also appllies to DPM 2010) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809001.aspx.

If you schedule a monthly backup within 24 hours from the current time and date, then the first backup will happen the next month on the specified day.

If you schedule a monthly backup within 24 hours from the current time and date, then the first backup will happen the next month on the specified day.

• Example:

• If on Jan 10 3:00 P.M. you schedule a monthly backup to run on the 11th day of the month at 10:00 A.M., then the first backup will happen on Feb 11 10:00 A.M. and then every month thereafter.

However, for DPM 2010, it is within 48 hours not 24.

Since you suspect that the Monthly job did not run, then I would not expect to see a tape with the monthly label yet. You can create a custom job filter to look at past and future jobs to see if / when the monthly tape backup job ran or is scheduled to run, you can see 7 days into the future.  Also, DPM does not recycle tape label names, it will continue to increment.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:46 PM