How to get lost policy back? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How can I get back my policy which I have deployed?

What have I don!

I reinstalled the managment server and now I a missing my policies which I have deployed with the dashboard.
    I can see them in AD but how do I get them back in my Dashboard wihtout overwriting them in AD?

Thanks

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not good news, you will have to view them in GPMC, take the settings down and then re-deploy the policies. There is no way that I am aware of to link them back.

Re,

Dave.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

When I use the same name in my dashboard do I get then an error in AD? Or is this GPO overwritten?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Luuk,

When you have noted the settings and are ready to delete the policy in AD. Make sure you delete the policy under "Group Policy Objects" otherwise you are just deleting the link and not the actual policy.

hope this helps.

/Johan

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Thanks Johan and David

So it is not advisible to let the GPO in AD.

I would like that there was an easier way, because I have a lot of different GPO's.
    I have over 50000 clients which are going to be monitored by FCS.
    Of course I am going to make backup of the FCS management server but you never know what happens.
    That why I was trying to look at this, before we are going to produktion.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:38 AM
  • I too have "lost" my policy, but in my case, it was not due to an upgrade.

I'm running the retail version, patched with all server patches.

I can "see" the GPO defined in AD, linked to the domain object, and properly scoped to an AD group.

My Policy tab is empty (I had defined only one policy).

I will craate a new policy, deploy it to a test OU, and examine the GPOs to ensure they are identical, before removing the original GPO and deploying the new policy to the appropriate group.

Anybody have any ideas why/how this happened? It's shaking my confidence in the product.

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:33 PM