none
DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Anyone out there know why DPM does not backup the system state or BMR to tape?  It seems to backup to disk but not to tape. Secondly, I would like to have the ability to backup and recover all my servers as VHD, for faster recovery but I read that its not a good idea to backup a DC server as a VHD snapshot? I have a Clustered SAN with Hyper V.

Cheers

Bud

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

System State can be protected using disk to tape (D2T) - but if you select BMR option, you can only do Disk to Disk to Tape (D2D2T).  This is because for BMR backup the Windows Server backup (wbadmin.exe)  writes directly to the DPM replica volume.  Windows server backup does not support tape.

A Hyper-V VHD snapshot (as done in Hyper-v console) is different from a backup snapshot invoked when a backup is performed by DPM.  When a backup is done by DPM (or any vss aware backup application) - the Hyper-V writer invokes a snapshot inside the running guest makes all the data inside guest in a consistent state prior to backing it up.

Nothing prevents you from doing host level backup of the DC and install agent inside the DC guest and preform separate systemstate or BMR backups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, if you restore the VM from DPM backup, the DC will be functional - you probably need to keep track of what FSMO roles are hosted on which DC's so appropriate actions can be taken based on how long the problematic DC was offline and how old the backup is that you are restoring. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

System State can be protected using disk to tape (D2T) - but if you select BMR option, you can only do Disk to Disk to Tape (D2D2T).  This is because for BMR backup the Windows Server backup (wbadmin.exe)  writes directly to the DPM replica volume.  Windows server backup does not support tape.

A Hyper-V VHD snapshot (as done in Hyper-v console) is different from a backup snapshot invoked when a backup is performed by DPM.  When a backup is done by DPM (or any vss aware backup application) - the Hyper-V writer invokes a snapshot inside the running guest makes all the data inside guest in a consistent state prior to backing it up.

Nothing prevents you from doing host level backup of the DC and install agent inside the DC guest and preform separate systemstate or BMR backups.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply! If I select within my cluster on the SAN "Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\DC" in DPM 2010, will I be able to fully recover my Domain Controller in a DR or a failure of the DC?  I would like to be able to recover quickly and I think I am getting confused by all the different opinions online...will this include my AD structure etc.

many thanks

Bud

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, if you restore the VM from DPM backup, the DC will be functional - you probably need to keep track of what FSMO roles are hosted on which DC's so appropriate actions can be taken based on how long the problematic DC was offline and how old the backup is that you are restoring. 

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I can't thank you enough! I have really been struggling with DPM 2010 and you have just answered my main question!

Can I also double check what is best with exchange.  Can I do the same with it, just backup the child partition snapshot?

Many many thanks!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

It really depends on how granular you want to get from a restore point of view.  Host level backups are great to protect the VM and be able to restore it and get it up and running real quick in case of a disaster, but the workloads inside those VM's should also be protected against logical corruption, accidental deletions etc.  I don't think you want to restore a day old VM backup when somebody accidently deleted a mailbox.  So you should think about also installing agent inside the guests and take application backups to give you flexibility on what you can restore and at what point.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:07 PM
  • To avoid duplication, should I use the guests say Monday to Thursday and then on my weekly Friday backup, backup via VHD?
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Sorry, I just read that back.

"To avoid duplication, should I use agents in the guests say Monday to Thursday and then on my weekly Friday backup, backup via VHD?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:11 PM