Error message on startup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Tosiba laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I set it up I entered my name as the user name and no password. This meant that when starting the computer up, I went straight into my desktop, without being prompted to click on an icon or enter a password.

Suddenly, something really odd has happened. As soon as the computer powers up and the animated Windows logo has settled, I am presented with a 'Welcome' screen from which the word "Welcome" immediately vanishes, to be replaced by the error message "Incorrect username or password". But I have not entered either! I don't get a chance. Now I have to 'switch user' to myself, and enter a blank password in order to get to my desktop.

No one has ever used this computer except me, but it is on a local network of 3 computers (I am a computer professional, working from home.) Maybe something has gone wrong on the network? Either way, I would like to get rid of this annoying behviour. I am a qualified computer professional and have been working with the registry since Microsoft first introduced it some 20 years ago. So I am quite happy to change some settings if someone will tell me what they may be.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I conclude that this is an unusual problem.

Did you install any software or change any settings when you finish your new installation? Try system restore to see what the result is.

For a test, you could perform a Clean Boot to check how it works.

Try creating a new user account to test. How it works?

If this issue persists, you could try the small tool:

Autologon

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, December 3, 2010 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Thank you for your contribution, Alex.

For the sake of anyone else who has this problem, I did indeed try system restore. The system went back 6 days, but did not find any programs I had installed in that period. And this worked. The error message went away.

I then discovered that the restore had removed ("turned off") the Guest account, which I need in order to access the Windows 7 computer on my home network from one of my other 2 computers. So I reactivated it.

Back came the problem!

So that seems to have been the cause, but I have no idea why activating a guest account should make the system deliver an error message at Welcome, before I have any chance to enter anything (i.e., before I could make any error!)

For what it is worth, I have now solved the problem, by setting a (meaningless) default password in the Registry. I can't find any official documentation for this (do you know any, Alex?) but I have been working with the Registry since it was the 'System Registration Database' in Windows 3.1, so it holds few terrors for me. And it seems to have done the job.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:27 AM

All replies

• Although there is a network, I am the only user. I use all 3 computers, which are configured differently. I have already used control userpasswords2. All the settings are the ones I want. I also checked userinit for errors or a virus. This does not solve the problem, and I have searched far and wide to see if anyone else has had the exact same problem. That is why I posted to this technical forum. I am pretty sure there is something set wrong in the registry.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

I conclude that this is an unusual problem.

Did you install any software or change any settings when you finish your new installation? Try system restore to see what the result is.

For a test, you could perform a Clean Boot to check how it works.

Try creating a new user account to test. How it works?

If this issue persists, you could try the small tool:

Autologon

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Thank you for your contribution, Alex.

For the sake of anyone else who has this problem, I did indeed try system restore. The system went back 6 days, but did not find any programs I had installed in that period. And this worked. The error message went away.

I then discovered that the restore had removed ("turned off") the Guest account, which I need in order to access the Windows 7 computer on my home network from one of my other 2 computers. So I reactivated it.

Back came the problem!

So that seems to have been the cause, but I have no idea why activating a guest account should make the system deliver an error message at Welcome, before I have any chance to enter anything (i.e., before I could make any error!)

For what it is worth, I have now solved the problem, by setting a (meaningless) default password in the Registry. I can't find any official documentation for this (do you know any, Alex?) but I have been working with the Registry since it was the 'System Registration Database' in Windows 3.1, so it holds few terrors for me. And it seems to have done the job.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Well, I'm happy for you to mark this as an answer, Alex, since I solved my own problem. However, it does leave 2 important questions unanswered.

1. Why should activating a guest account cause this bizarre problem?
    2. Why doesn't Microsoft let professionals know the ins and outs of the Registry settings for their own products, especially keys as basic as those I modified and created?
    Friday, December 3, 2010 11:12 AM