none
Server 2012 R2 - Problem with Windows Updates

Question

• Hello, I have a major issue with a Server 2012 R2 and windows updates. It all started with the same update showing over and over in the Windows update, when I was looking in updates history, they were installed. What I did is cleaning up the windows update folder :

net stop wuauserv  
    CD %Windir%          
    CD SoftwareDistribution          
    DEL /F /S /Q Download
    net start wuauserv

I also remove the entry from the WSUS server and check for update from Microsoft. I have ensure that the server can
    Fully access the internet without any proxy servers.
    It found different updates but when I try to install them, it reboot and then go to
    "couldn't complete the updates undoing changes". I have manually downloaded the package online, same issue.
    I have tried to run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but that failed with the error 0X800f0906.
    Then I found the following and tried it http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-corrupt-windows-image-error-0x800f0906, still same problem
    "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:D:\sources\install.wim" same result...

SFC /scannow do all the verification and show that it wasn't able to fix some of them.

I then found the following command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:D:\Sources\Install.wim:2 /LimitAccess
    It has stayed at 20% for a  bout 24 hours now.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>SFC /scannow do all the verification and show that it wasn't able to fix some of them.
    If possible, please check the log file of SFC and try to manually repair corruption files.

Reference Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:15 AM
  • Well as stupid as it will sound I pressed the "enter" key in the powershell windows that DISM was running from and it jumped to 80% to then eventually reach 100% about an hour later.
    After a reboot SFC /scannow didn't report any problem. It also performed a chkdsk when it restart as I initiated the command before DISM. (Maybe that fixed too?)
    The server seems to be working better now but I will need to test it in production first to see how it will work...

It's a terminal server part of a RD farm so I have re-enable it but limit session to 15 users to see how it will go...

Thank you

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Monday, June 25, 2018 12:24 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:07 PM

All replies

• SFC /scannow do all the verification and show that it wasn't able to fix some of them.

You can also try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the install media. If no joy then you may be left with standing up a new one, patching it fully and migrate roles or applications over to it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

>SFC /scannow do all the verification and show that it wasn't able to fix some of them.
    If possible, please check the log file of SFC and try to manually repair corruption files.

Reference Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:15 AM
  • Well as stupid as it will sound I pressed the "enter" key in the powershell windows that DISM was running from and it jumped to 80% to then eventually reach 100% about an hour later.
    After a reboot SFC /scannow didn't report any problem. It also performed a chkdsk when it restart as I initiated the command before DISM. (Maybe that fixed too?)
    The server seems to be working better now but I will need to test it in production first to see how it will work...

It's a terminal server part of a RD farm so I have re-enable it but limit session to 15 users to see how it will go...

Thank you

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Monday, June 25, 2018 12:24 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating, please feel free to let us know if there is any new update.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, June 15, 2018 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:12 AM
  • The server is back to normal and I have put it back on the RDS farm

Look like it's fixed.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details.

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:57 AM