Windows 7 & internet RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it that everytime an update happens, I lose my internet and then spend hours on the phone with the dumb ATT and HP trying to resolve them. Iget people in India, Phillpines and USA. No wonder we can not get help for us old farts of 81 years.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

• There is something that is not configured correctly or applications causing conflicts for this to happen repeatedly. Windows Updates do not cause the loss of internet connectivity.

Generally, the computer is set for automatic updates. If a restart is required, there is a message.

Typically, this is PEBKAC.

Is there anyone locally that can assist you in checking the configuration of your computer?

There are too many variables to offer a response here.

Can you be more specific about what has corrected the issue previously?

I can suggest this, get the basic internet service from the cable tv provider and your problems will disappear. It's about the same price.

DSL service over copper requires that the cabling be in great condition, especially from the pole to your residence and the interior cabling. Then there are the issues from the switch to the pole near your residence. Complain to the telephone company until they replace something. Static on your telephone, can't get dial tone, internet goes out. Keep complaining or switch to cable.

• Edited by Nano Warp Friday, October 7, 2011 12:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:27 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 12:24 PM