2008r2 RDS - Outlook Roaming Profile - Does not re-open pst RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

2x 2008r2 RDS severs ( identical LB servers with office 2010 & 3rd party apps)
    1x 2008r2 GW server
    1x 2003 shared storage (users home folders & data)
    1x 2003 running exchange 2003 PO
    Clients = wyse terminals

gpo/roaming profiles/folder redirections in use

Everything is working well except for part of the roaming profile that affects outlook 2010 client.

It does not remember to re-open archives/pst's when a user logs onto the other RDS server. The user then has to open them manually.

If a user logs in to RDS1 opens their archives/pst's, logs out, logs back in again, the archives/pst's are auto-opened. It will stay like this as long as they keep logging into RDS1 server.

As soon as they log into RDS2 sever, the have to re-open, and as above they will be rememebered, until they log back into RDS1, where they have to re-open again -  rinse & repeat.

It does not initiate a full outlook profile-recreation like other messages I have seen, just loses what psts were opened.

Idea's please?

Cheers

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:05 AM

Answers

• There is an option to set the load .pst by either GPO or when installing MS Office. Off course your .pst naming should be standardized to make this work but it is an option.

Second option is to export the registry keys, containing the outlook .pst to a registry key which will be imported at user logon. This can be used on both servers as these should alike.

regards Robert Maijen
    • Marked as answer by Huckery Monday, January 31, 2011 12:49 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:17 PM

All replies

• There is an option to set the load .pst by either GPO or when installing MS Office. Off course your .pst naming should be standardized to make this work but it is an option.

Second option is to export the registry keys, containing the outlook .pst to a registry key which will be imported at user logon. This can be used on both servers as these should alike.

regards Robert Maijen
    • Marked as answer by Huckery Monday, January 31, 2011 12:49 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi Robert

Will go for the second option, as ummm errr what are standards? ;)

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi there,

I think its not just PST's, but its also shared calenders, shared mailboxes.

I dont believe anything in the Outlook Profile carries across.

I had a user that logged on, and it asked to confirm what Username to associate with the account as if the user has never logged on before.

Can anyone please explain how to make Outlook 2010 roam the profile to other RDS servers

thanks

Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Yes I can confirm that it happens on shared mailboxes as well (havnt tried calenders)
    Monday, January 17, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Hello Huckery,

GPO would be a nice standard but practically it is very hard to implement. Just take the correct registry keys and import them at logon.

regards Robert Maijen
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Robert,

Are you saying that Outlook 2010 settings do not roam with the user?

And that we will need to export the Outlook 2010 registry keys during logoff, and import the keys when we logon?

thanks

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Hello Ian,

I honostly don't for sure. I never use roaming profiles and folder redirection to some extend. I prefer to use hybrid profiles and with those I choose to im/export registry keys and move folder/files only if need or required.

regards Robert Maijen
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:10 AM