How to install default dictionary into Word 2013?? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Office 2013 installed onto several Win2k12 R2 Remote Desktop Services host servers...

I've been asked to install the dictionary into Word 2013.

On the testing server, I get the message that the dictionary is not installed for English and that the Office store is disabled.

I only want to enable the Office store long enough to get the default English dictionary installed -- is there one in the Office store??

Is there any way to get the default English dictionary installed into Word 2013 without using the Office store?? Or whatever is the simplest easiest dictionary to install??

Or do I re-run the setup file and enable whatever setting it is that installs the dictionary?? -- if so, what setting would it be??

Thank you, Tom

• Edited by tlyczko2 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:43 PM

Answers

• There is a built-in thesaurus for each installed language, if that helps. You can use the right-click (context) menu after you have selected a word, or you can press Shift+F7.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:00 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the dictionary is embedded in Office language packages. If you are using English Office version, please check the dictionary if it has been enabled. Go to File=>Options=>Proofing=>Custom dictionary

Then, I can both install the third party dictionary from App store and add a custom dictionary. Please see the links below:

Install a dictionary

How to add a custom dictionary in Word

More reference:

https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/Change-the-language-of-your-custom-dictionary-6d32fb6a-2a81-4a11-b3cb-3e62de3a7a21

https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/change-the-language-of-a-document-8fec4c7b-150e-4226-8087-d00d5093fade

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Thank you for including the screenshot...

Is selecting default.dic the equivalent of choosing a dictionary with which one can look up definitions??

When I looked at this via Word within my own RDS login, the RoamingCustom.dic was selected -- is this a per-user 'personal' dictionary??

We don't want to enable the Office store generally -- is it possible to enable it long enough to get a dictionary installed that everyone can use??

Why did Microsoft make this all so difficult?? :) :)

Thank you, Tom

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I'll try my best to answer the question:

>>Is selecting default.dic the equivalent of choosing a dictionary with which one can look up definitions??<<  Yes.

>>When I looked at this via Word within my own RDS login, the RoamingCustom.dic was selected -- is this a per-user 'personal' dictionary??<< Yes

>>We don't want to enable the Office store generally -- is it possible to enable it long enough to get a dictionary installed that everyone can use??<< No, some third-party dictionary needs to start with App store.

Then, you seems get a alert message like this:

Your administrator has not installed a dictionary for this language and has disabled the Office Store.

It was cause by the 'Disable roaming office user settings'  is enabled. Please see this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-officestore/dictionary-question/24fef434-e1d4-4018-b95e-61c9a830d3e4

Regards,

George Zhao

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Thank you for explaining on the roaming Office user settings policy.

How is 'Disable roaming Office user settings' policy different from 'Allow roaming of all user customizations' policy??

I'll look at our group policy tomorrow as well as test the default.dic for Define etc.

Thank you, Tom

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:24 AM
  • See here:

Controlling roaming settings through Group Policy

You can enable or disable roaming settings by using the “Disable Roaming Office User Settings” Group Policy setting. It determines whether data can be stored in the cloud. You can find this Group Policy setting at this location:
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Office 2013\Services\Disable Roaming Office User Settings

In addition, you can enable or disable roaming settings through the Registry as follows:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Roaming\RoamingSettingsDisabled

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733593.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

George Zhao

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:26 AM
  • We are not using Office 365 or the cloud for anything Office, how is this setting helpful to us?? -- Office 2013 is installed and runs locally.

Also, my question about the difference between the two roaming settings is not answered: "How is 'Disable roaming Office user settings' policy different from 'Allow roaming of all user customizations' policy??"

Thank you, Tom

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:34 AM
  • I reviewed our MS Office group policy.

'Disable roaming Office user settings' policy is not configured.
    We don't use anything cloud wrt MS Office, which is installed and runs locally on the RDS hosts.

'Allow roaming of all user customizations' policy is enabled.

All three dictionary items in the above custom dictionary screensheet are checked.
    However, it's not possible to choose default.dic as the default, why??

Only RoamingCustom.dic or Custom.dic can be chosen as the default dictionary.
    When default.dic is highlighted, the change default button is grayed out.

default.dic is in //server/users/%username%/Roaming/Microsoft/Spelling/en-US -- does this mean default.dic is only for spell checking??

Upon clicking 'Define' for a highlighted word, Word says, 'Your administrator has not installed a dictionary for this language and has disabled the Office Store.'

We don't want to turn on the Office Store any more than necessary.

How do we get the default.dic dictionary available for looking up words??

Thank you, Tom
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:59 PM
  • There is a built-in thesaurus for each installed language, if that helps. You can use the right-click (context) menu after you have selected a word, or you can press Shift+F7.

• Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:00 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 11:44 PM
  • I have Japanese Office 2013. I bought the English language pack . Now when I attempt to access a thesaurus for Japanese by using Shift F7 it says 'Your administrator has not installed a dictionary for this language and has disabled the Office Store."

I would like to turn on the Office Store for long enough to get a thesaurus for Japanese. But I should already have one since I purchased the Japanese version of the Office suite complete with all Japanese dictionaries.

Tim
    Friday, December 11, 2015 5:14 AM
  • I have Japanese Office 2013. I bought the English language pack . Now when I attempt to access a thesaurus for Japanese by using Shift F7 it says 'Your administrator has not installed a dictionary for this language and has disabled the Office Store."

At Review | Language | Set Proofing Language, you should see a check mark next to both "Japanese" and "English," assuming that they are correctly installed.

Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:36 PM